Difference between drink driving and driving with a hangover

Sponsored Links
I got pulled over one night about 15 years ago. Been drinking since 6 o'clock that evening, finished drinking about 45 minutes before I got in my car at about 1 am ( 7 hours of Stella, bud & JD ). Got a 'booty call' from a young lady, got in my motor and drove. Felt fine, knew I wasn't but carried on anyway. Turned into a side road, just before that saw plod was approaching from the opposite direction about 150 metres away.
In my rear view, saw the police car turn and follow. At the next junction was right behind. Turned, 50 metres up the blues and twos started flashing. Still thought 'no problem'. :confused:
'We noticed that you turned a bit sharply into the previous road and...... oh, have you had a drink tonight, sir?'
Still thought 'no problem' :eek:
'Would you mind stepping out of the vehicle, sir?'

Stepped (well, sort of staggered) out, breathalyser out, long breath, straight to red ( oh, sh@t)
One officer parked my car up, got in the back of the police car, down the station, Lion Intoximeter, 46 & 43 it read ( should be 30 something apparently, one of you guys will know what this all means. What it meant to me was that I was 0 for 2.
Asked what option did I have, was told I could have a blood test. Waited in the cell (fell asleep) till about 3am, woken by footsteps, led into a room where a dodgy doc whacked a needle in my arm and drew a sample. Officer told me that I would hear in couple of weeks whether I'd have a court date or was clear. ( crazy I know, I was over the limit on 2 counts, but if the blood test was under, I'd be ok :eek: :eek: )
That was the worst 2 weeks of my life back then, thinking about loss of my job, having to move closer to work, how to pick my kids up, etc.

2 weeks later the mobile rings, my sister picks it up and has a lark about, not realising that the guy on the other end of the phone is a REAL police officer. Hands the phone to me, the officer, I kid you not, says to me, 'I've got some good news and some bad news'
I'm kekking myself, he says ' The good news is we've had your results back from the lab. The bad news is.......... there is no bad news, you were ONE microgram under the limit.' I was 79 micrgrams.
From that day, I vowed not to drink and drive again, ever. I haven't.
I was extremely lucky, seeing as I was off my face, and felt guilty for ages. The thing I couldn't believe at the time was that I was given so many chances to be measure under the limit. Someone was looking out for me at that time. :oops:

I have a breathalyser - a decent one that gives a mg/100ml value (rather than the red light/green light toys) It is certified for official use and calibrated. I bought it out of interest after reading the scare stories of people being over the drink drive limit the morning after. I have been doing plenty of .. erm .. testing recently. I have never had anything other than a zero reading the morning after and I have been trying, honest!

After a bottle of red or a good few strong pints I can quickly get to about 3 times the drive limit. After just 3 hours, I am down to zero!

I am led to believe it is different for everyone so nothing can deduced from this.

Sponsored Links
I have a breathalyser - a decent one that gives a mg/100ml value (rather than the red light/green light toys) It is certified for official use and calibrated. I bought it out of interest after reading the scare stories of people being over the drink drive limit the morning after. I have been doing plenty of .. erm .. testing recently. I have never had anything other than a zero reading the morning after and I have been trying, honest!

After a bottle of red or a good few strong pints I can quickly get to about 3 times the drive limit. After just 3 hours, I am down to zero!

I am led to believe it is different for everyone so nothing can deduced from this.

Your breathalyser is probably too ****ed to give a reading by now :LOL:

Back