Difference between drink driving and driving with a hangover

Sponsored Links
It does, but you cannot compare people, and of course that was the mail on Sunday :LOL:

......... Where would you draw the leniency lines?

They already have drawn the line - at 80 mg per 100 ml of blood isn't it?

IIRC there are sentencing guidelines applied by magistrates once you have exceeded the limit as well, something like 80 - 85mg, 85 - 115mg, 115 - 160, etc. etc.

......... Where would you draw the leniency lines?

They already have drawn the line - at 80 mg per 100 ml of blood isn't it?

IIRC there are sentencing guidelines applied by magistrates once you have exceeded the limit as well, something like 80 - 85mg, 85 - 115mg, 115 - 160, etc. etc.

I don't know, never been done.

Sponsored Links
I've had this on my concience for many years, but never seen it discussed really....

As i've mentioned before, i don't drink and drive. However, technically i suspect i might because i have been out on many a huge bender and then driven to work the next morning....

The point of this post?... is there a biological/scientific difference between the drunkeness as you come out of the pub to the hungover feeling as you get up in the morning? Both i reckon will fail a breatherliser but is there a technical difference?

1mg.

Blood alcohol is a weird old thing, I've had the bag @ 9.30am after a fair old up till 3am binge, and got a green light. Other people will fail on far less.

It is quite straight forward.

If you go out on the lash until say 3.00am and have to drive to work at 7.00am then you will be over the limit. Having a couple of hours kip doesn't magic away the alchohol in your system, although many think that is the case.

The simple answer is, if in any doubt then don't drive :cool:

It is quite straight forward.

If you go out on the lash until say 3.00am and have to drive to work at 7.00am then you will be over the limit. Having a couple of hours kip doesn't magic away the alchohol in your system, although many think that is the case.

The simple answer is, if in any doubt then don't drive :cool:

It's not that simple.

I've had this on my concience for many years, but never seen it discussed really....

As i've mentioned before, i don't drink and drive. However, technically i suspect i might because i have been out on many a huge bender and then driven to work the next morning....

The point of this post?... is there a biological/scientific difference between the drunkeness as you come out of the pub to the hungover feeling as you get up in the morning? Both i reckon will fail a breatherliser but is there a technical difference?

1mg.

Blood alcohol is a weird old thing, I've had the bag @ 9.30am after a fair old up till 3am binge, and got a green light. Other people will fail on far less.

Exactly..

I have a mate who got done on two pints of shandy one lunchtime..he got two year ban because he had bene done before (bang to rights)..I have asked to be breathalised in a police station because I was worried I was over the limet and had to drive home..I had had..21/2 pints of stella and a large glass of wine with a meal..and half a glass of sherry an hour after a period of about 7-8 hours or drinking

The new blow in the box tests had just come in so the cozzer didnt mind me having a go and gathered a few friends around me to watch!..(anything to help the police!!)...

Clear as a bell..in fact the cozzer gave me another go because he couldnt beleive I had passed it after I told him what I'd drunk..he advised me not to drive anyway, I took the advice as knowing them I wouldnt have been surprised for one to follow me and do me a few miles up the road!

Equally Ive had two pints dinner time and felt like id been out the **** for a week!..

Theres a lot of factors..the strength of the booze, the individual, what they are doing after consuming the booze, their general health etc..

i think its completly different in the morning you may feel like poo but a lot off that isnt the drink its the cronic dehidration your brain is being deprived off fluid
so you may feel 2x over the limit but your not

I always thought it was a case of drinking whilst under the influence?

Two things I can add here:

Alcohol dependency and alcoholism are different things
Something many people don't realise about alcohol is that your body becomes dependent on it very easily... It's one of the few drugs where an addict can die from going cold turkey (the delirium tremens). Hence, why heavy long-time alkeys are given a weening period.

After a heavy sesh, much of the hangover feeling is because the alcohol is leaving the system and you are, in effect, going cold turkey. That's why the old "hair of the dog" trick often works.

So, perhaps the reason you "feel" OK the next morning isn't because you are sober, but more you have acclimatised to the alcohol in your system on this particular session?

Liver function is largely constant
A sobering fact is that whilst body mass (and hence blood volume) have a LOT to do with how much you can drink without falling over, liver function is completely unrelated.

You may be a healthy 18 stone man who can drink 4 times what your healthy 8 stone wife does, but each unit will take just as long to be processed. So, she's pi**ed on half a bottle of wine but will be sober again long before breakfast, whilst you've drunk 2 bottles of wine and won't be fully-clear until this time tomorrow!!! :mad:

I've been requested to blow into the tube just once, but got a "0mg" and green light. The policeman thought I was driving suspiciously as I started taking left and right turns as soon as he got on my tail. To be fair, I was driving home on my normal route and was 50 feet from my door when he put on the blues :LOL:

The policeman thought I was driving suspiciously as I started taking left and right turns as soon as he got on my tail. To be fair, I was driving home on my normal route and was 50 feet from my door when he put on the blues :LOL:

So you're telling me that if a cop car appears behind you, you have to stay on the same road or they'll automatically assume you're trying to shake them off your tail? I was under the impression that unless they're pulling cars in at random for roadside spot tests they had to have a valid reason to follow you and 'blue-light' you - i.e. you've turned left with your right indicators on or not stopping at a red light. If turning left and right a few times is suspicious driving then i do that every day!!

I've never understood the affects of alcohol, i can have a small glass of wine with a meal and feel like i've been on a bender and other times i can drink all night and still feel sober. I guess thats why the general advice is if you're driving, don't have anything to drink at all. I'm all in favour of these pubs that offer free soft drinks to the member of the group that is 'the nominated driver'.

I understand the point the OP is making as i've rarely woken up the next day and thought 'i still feel drunk' despite probably being over the legal limit. Having said that, i don't drink heavily when i've got to be up early the next day as hauling my head complete with hangover out of bed is more of a problem than whether i'm ok to drive or not!

So you're telling me that if a cop car appears behind you, you have to stay on the same road or they'll automatically assume you're trying to shake them off your tail? I was under the impression that unless they're pulling cars in at random for roadside spot tests they had to have a valid reason to follow you and 'blue-light' you - i.e. you've turned left with your right indicators on or not stopping at a red light. If turning left and right a few times is suspicious driving then i do that every day!!

His words were "I've pulled you in because you decided to turn left once you saw me behind you...". Seeing as he must have gone 20mph over the speed limit just to catch up with me BEFORE I turned left, I think he'd already decided to at least tail me.

TBH I think he was a young rookie getting some practice on the stop and blow, who decided to park up in the nice middle-class part of town rather than honing his skills on a Merc full of Yardis!!! :LOL:

Fortunately it was a Wednesday and I only drive drunk on Thursdays on the way back from my Masonic meeting :eek: Although not with my man-bits out like that berk on the news yesterday.

they're pulling cars in at random for roadside spot tests they had to have a valid reason to follow you and 'blue-light' you

They have a book of 'valid reasons'...and they will pull one out of it as and when they like.

I.E...if they havnt got a valid reason they will soon make one up.

they're pulling cars in at random for roadside spot tests they had to have a valid reason to follow you and 'blue-light' you

They have a book of 'valid reasons'...and they will pull one out of it as and when they like.

I.E...if they havnt got a valid reason they will soon make one up.

smack on the money zampa :LOL: they make it up as they go along

Sponsored Links
Back