Headlamps for continental driving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just come back from France and in the shop on the ferry saw stick-on deflectors for cars from UK driving over there, and also for cars from France, Germany and Holland over here. I always thought continental headlamps dip straight down, unlike ours which dip to the left, which would mean continental headlamps don’t need modifying for UK driving. And until this trip I’ve never noticed adaptors to convert from right to left dip. But a German friend tells me continental headlamps dip to the right. Can anybody confirm?

Also if deflectors for UK cars convert from left to right dip, they’re presumably illegal for use in the UK, and should be removed on return. Is this so? I see many cars with them left on permanently.

In any case, I can’t see why there is a need for different deflectors for France, Germany and Holland. Personally, I never bother with them, I adjust the beam right down, and no sign of dazzling other drivers. I’ve spoken to HGV drivers who tell me they don’t use them.

Of course, need for deflectors is mentioned on leaflets handed out on the ferries for obvious reasons, to sell stuff. They also tell you 2 breathalysers must be carried in France. The law there says this, though there is no penalty or endorsement for non-compliance and in practice it doesn’t apply.

Lastly, I’m surprised modern cars don’t have a mechanism to switch between left and right dip.

Sponsored Links
Continental cars do dip to the right so in theory you should use deflectors....I never have but rarely drive at night there anyway.
I dont think high intensity lamps would take kindly to bits of tape stuck over the lens :eek:
I do carry a warning triangle though and some high viz vests. You are supposed to carry bulbs as well so I've a couple kicking around somewhere.
John :)

Sponsored Links
They don't deflect, they stop your light from deflecting in the wrong direction.

Continental cars do dip to the right
Thanks. So they should fit deflectors for UK driving? I don't think many do.
I do carry a warning triangle though and some high viz vests. You are supposed to carry bulbs
So do I, been kicking around in the boot for years.

Still interested whether UK cars fitted with deflectors are illegal back in UK.

Some shops call these things deflectors, some call them converters.
I can't see them being illegal when back in the UK as you can't dazzle anyone but an MOT tester wouldn't pass the car, I guess.
I can't see much of a problem anywhere so long as oncoming drivers aren't dazzled.
John :)

Still interested whether UK cars fitted with deflectors are illegal back in UK.

As already said, they don’t 'deflect' the image, they just cover the kick up to the left hand side of the beam. I’m not 100% sure on the legality under the C&U act, but they are not an MOT fail if the beam pattern has a flat top with no kick up. In fact, now I think if it, I’m pretty sure they must be legal under the C&U act because when my mate had to get his sons imported US car legal for UK roads with an IVA test to get a UK registration, the test for that is quite strict and he was allowed to just blank off the right side kick up to the beam and present a vehicle with a flat top beam pattern.

In any case, I can’t see why there is a need for different deflectors for France, Germany and Holland. Personally, I never bother with them, I adjust the beam right down, and no sign of dazzling other drivers..

If they are deflectors then you will get the edge of the road illuminated which can be very useful.

I do carry a warning triangle though and some high viz vests. You are supposed to carry bulbs as well so I've a couple kicking around somewhere.

Last time I went to france I was 'supposed' to carry an approved breathyliser too but they never enforced the fine so even if you don't have one I doubt it'll matter.

Last time I went to france I was 'supposed' to carry an approved breathyliser too but they never enforced the fine so even if you don't have one I doubt it'll matter.

It's crazy, but there is actually no fine for this "offence" nor any other type of sanction. I've also never read of anybody being stopped/fined for the Hi-vis/triangle, but since this would be a fixed-price fine, it wouldn't go to court and thus not be reported.

Continental lights are a simple mirror image of ours. We all work to the same EU regulations - well, since the early 1990s anyway, when the French had to give up on their silly yellow headlights and we had to give up on "dim-dip". So yes, they ought to have deflectors over here and we over there. Some of the more modern designs of lights (some HIDs and I guess LEDs) have the beam cut-off built into the light source so you can just adjust it by either rotating the light source or flicking a switch.

When we had our Motorhome, I just used to switch the height down a bit, rather than fit deflectors. But I know the French police can be a bit funny about cars without beam deflectors fitted. I haven't seen any on European cars in the UK

Many do. What make/model/year of car do you have?
I hadn't heard, but not looked into it much. Mine's an oldish Mondeo, 2004. Just has up/down adjustment.
I've got a 10-year old Merc, and that adjusts to dip the other way.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that these days they make cars which automatically dip the right way, as long as they have built-in satnav.

It's crazy, but there is actually no fine for this "offence" nor any other type of sanction. I've also never read of anybody being stopped/fined for the Hi-vis/triangle, but since this would be a fixed-price fine, it wouldn't go to court and thus not be reported.
The thing is that warning triangles and high-vis vests have a lot of occupant and vehicle self-preservation built in to them (well, maybe not the vests, in Paris, right now :cautious: ), so it's pretty daft not to have them. I had a warning triangle (and a pop-up witches hat with a flashing light in it) before I ever drove in France. I didn't buy vests until I went after they became mandatory, but now that I have them I keep them in the car all the time over here, and would wear one if it made sense.

No breathaliser though.

Sponsored Links
Back