Headlamps for continental driving

Sponsored Links
The thing is that warning triangles and high-vis vests have a lot of occupant and vehicle self-preservation built in to them

My post was just to say that in my experience, the gendarmes/police pay no attention to this at all, not any comment on the good sense of the law. The law only requires one vest, which must be inside the passenger compartment.

Radar detectors will get you a fairly stiff punishment : max € 1500 fine and six points off a French licence. On the other hand it is completely legal for satnavs to show a short stretch of road where cameras are installed as a danger zone

Last edited:
The thing is that warning triangles and high-vis vests have a lot of occupant and vehicle self-preservation built in to them

My post was just to say that in my experience, the gendarmes/police pay no attention to this at all, not any comment on the good sense of the law which does only require one vest, stored inside the passenger compartment.

Radar detectors will get you a fairly stiff punishment : max € 1500 fine and six points off a French licence. On the other hand it is completely legal for satnavs to show a short stretch of road where cameras are installed as a danger zone

APOLOGIES FOR DOUBLE POSTING

Last edited:
My understanding is the breathalizer law is now unenforceable as there is no fine for not having one. I think the French realised it was a lobby thing by the only 2 companies that were authorised to make approved disposable brathalizers.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is the breathalizer law is now unenforceable as there is no fine for not having one. I think the French realised it was a lobby thing by the only 2 companies that were authorised to make approved disposable brathalizers.

It actually turned out to be a poisoned chalice for the bigger of these two. Since sales were historically very modest, they were inundated with orders when the law was introduced and there were articles in every paper about supermarkets being out of stock. After some considerable time, this company did launch a significant ( for them ) investment programme to increase production and then a few months after that the law was , effectively, cancelled, presumably leaving them witha major loss.

Yet another example to show us all, not to rely on a politician ! I am talking about Sarkozy and would prefer it if you didn't stretch it to any others in your answers.

My post was just to say that in my experience, the gendarmes/police pay no attention to this at all, not any comment on the good sense of the law which does only require one vest, stored inside the passenger compartment.
The point I was trying to make is that it is bonkers to not carry hi-vis vests (one per occupant), warning triangles etc, simply because the police don't pay any attention to them.

That's my understanding too, but it doesn't stop ferry operators saying you need them, and of course "they're available in the on-board shop".

Sponsored Links
Back