Differences between the USA and UK work methods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I usually work with new commercial or residential buildings in Miami. Here the work is executed with a spray machine before the floor be done.

I’m thinking to move to London and I need informations about the ordinary system used there. Also some details about the equipment and supplies. Specially about the paint because of the climatic differences.

Please, tell me how the business is. Which are the benefits to run a limited company comparable to a self employed job?

As sub contractor painter, how is the way to apply for a job and presented a bid proposal?

I really appreciate all the information that you can give to me.

Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
stay where you are, or move to a differnt state, you will not like it.

London, costs twice as much to live in.

You have to pay £8 ($16) / day to drive your car in the "congeston zone"

You have to pay up to £4 ($8 ) an hour to park your vehicle on the road

Diesel costs around £3 ($6) / gallon

Park too long / wrong place can cost £200+ ($400)

a place to stay will cost £300 ($600) / week

the streets are not paved with gold

Your moble phone wont work (unless its triband)

Pedestrians walk faster than cars move (in most places at some times)

we have rain (lots of it)

Blink and you miss the summer

and that is before you start

Good adice Breezer..I thought the same.

Regards spraying, you fellas over their are far further ahead than we are here...a lot of painters use airless machines on big sites and some HVLP but only for the doors normally.

Graco and Titan are the main brands as far as I know.

Material wise there isnt much difference between the paint we use.

The common paints are..

Contract Matt...doesnt contain vinyl..lets trapped moisture from solid plaster walls

Vinyl Matt..

Vinyl Silk

Acrylic eggshell (satin like finish but not quite as shiney)

Oil Based eggshell

Undercoat

Gloss

I notice a lot of your paints are semi gloss..and water based. Water based glosses are not very popular here at the moment, and we have a long way to go before they reach the sheen levels and 'paintabliity' of oil based.

You got mail.

Sponsored Links
Breezer where are you getting your diesel from, 3 quid a gallon, would you like to double it to more like 6 quid mate LOL

louiz, inflation is bad too, diesel has doubled in price over night

:LOL:

Dont forget the fantastic standards of 'service' over here..

There was a thing on T.V the other night saying some of the staff in our shops restruants and hotels have actually learnt how to say 'please' and 'thank you' in some areas!

Louiz..if you like a laugh..come over in 2012 when we host half the Olympics..the other half will be done in 2014.. :rolleyes:

You havnt got mail by the way..ive given up trying to decypher the messaging system this site has...

Sort it out admin for gods sake...it doesnt have to be hard to send someone a message.

Sorry I haven’t answered back before, but I’ve been very busy and little poisoned. I’m painting the metallic structure of a Super market, like TESCO, with Dry Fall Oil Base. It’s a tough job!

Thank you, guys, for the information you sent to me.

ZAMPA: I have several questions. Please, wait the e-mail I’m going to sent you soon.
Thanks again.

BREEZER: I’ll bet my bottom dollar the petroleum barrels are really increased 3 or 4 times overnight. (It’s inflation!!!)

Here most painters use the water base paint. For interior: flat (your matt), egg shell, semi gloss (for wood work) and high gloss (rarely). For exterior: flat/matt, satin (very common) and semi gloss (usually used for trim).Currently all these paints are acrylic.

Purdy’s is the most popular brushes in Florida. In my opinion, it’s good, but I prefer the Corona (a Rolls Royce brush). In business you need to have an ear to the ground all time. Each time something better appears.

You gave me a clue. I appreciate it. Now, it’s time to join work and family. I have brothers and nephews in London and I’m trying to see them growing up. Then I’m going to move with all my machines, tools and knowledge and try again. There are so many problems everywhere (Inflation too).

If there is any question or information fell free to ask me.
Keep in touch and thank you.

One of your DIY chains..Lowes or Home depot have stopped doing wallpaper Louiz...cant remember which. I take it its out of fashion out there?

One major difference ..the term decorator..out there decorators are what we call interior designers here..and out decoartors are 'painters with you out there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back