Personal Health and Safety.

it annoys the hell out of me that you can walk into the diy sheds buy a an underpowered and therefore dangerous chainsaw and no ppe. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
it annoys the hell out of me that you can walk into the diy sheds buy a an underpowered and therefore dangerous chainsaw and no ppe. :evil:

Why? You can drive two tonnes of metal and be a complete ****** and kill the innocent.

Gary_M said:
it is amazing how many people are willing to place themselves into positions that are known to cause great injury (particulalry to the lower back) without any thought about their safety.

Had a mate who went for a job with an office removal firm. As part of his interview/assesment they asked him to move a safe from one side of the room to the other. His reply was something along the lines of "on my own? bugger off I'll hurt myself" he got the job. They'd been having trouble with excessive amounts of staff off with back injuries and figured if he'd say that in an interview he'd do the same on the job.

BoxBasher said:
.....They'd been having trouble with excessive amounts of staff off with back injuries and figured if he'd say that in an interview he'd do the same on the job.

Yeah, I can understand their point and why he got the job. There is almost 30% of a company's workforce absent due to back pain in one year. That's a massive amount, and I would say that it is ALL avoidable if people took more responsibility for their health ;)

Unfortunately our spine and other musculo-skeletal structures are 'hidden' so people don't really give them the respect they are due. If your employer asked you to stick your hand onto a gas burner you wouldn't do it, but how many people will bend their back into a 90 degree angle, then twist it sideways, then lift a weight? Sore backs and other musculo-skeletal injuries are nearly all avoidable. The method of movement I use is called the Neuromuscular Approach to Human Movement, and in theory if people were to move based on its principles from the day they were born, they should NEVER experience the aches and pains we put down to "I'm just getting older" (not including disease or unexpected acute injuries).

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
RF Lighting said:
Oh and possibly the most common bit of PPE that saved my life - The seatbelt

It amazes me that Taxi drivers never wear one. On the road all day they are more likely to be involved in a collision than just about anybody.
No, they must be such good drivers that they dont need a seatbelt. they're real men, so dont need nannying with bits of nylon etc. They just wrap it round the back of the seat to stop the alarm ;)

A seatbelt saved my life. And airbags are useless if you dont wear a seatbelt. Imagine a firework goin off on your chest.

Gary_M said:
how many people will bend their back into a 90 degree angle, then twist it sideways, then lift a weight? Sore backs and other musculo-skeletal injuries are nearly all avoidable.
I would like to see handling & lifting lesson as part of the school education, big saving on the NHS as well

masona said:
I would like to see handling & lifting lesson as part of the school education, big saving on the NHS as well

I totally agree. If they could promote 'movement' in an efficient way there would be MASSIVE savings on future health care. I am currently awaiting a reply from the Scottish Executive about this issue.

One of the first things primary school pupils are taught is - "SIT STILL!!" We are not designed to sit still. Our bodies need movement (in the correct way) to allow everything to funtion as it was designed.

I am hoping the fact that young children are already showing arthritis-like symptoms through the use of mobile phones and gaming machines will make people sit up and listen. However, I suspect that as we are now very much a 'blame culture', the fault will be put on the design of the product rather than the promotion of safe movement :rolleyes:

I work for a relatively large, family owned company that makes diggers and stuff. The factory i work in provides adequate ppe for everyone, boots, overalls, gloves etc. They are constantly threatening us shop floor boys with the sack for daring to even think about putting our safety glasses on top of our head, even whilst walking to the toilet. On the floor are painted green walkways and the management have decided that staff can walk along these walkways without the need for safety boots. A classic movement of goalposts to suit themselves. What really gets my goat is the fact that our line manager and even director feel that they can walk onto the production line in stylish black slip-on shoes and threaten us with the sack for not wearing correct ppe. When it is mentioned that neither are they they just look at us like we're stupid and disappear into the safety of their portakabin. I hate the fact that its one rule for them and another for us, even when its an obvious safety issue. Even now they push the safety issue after a fatal accident at theparent company. Can't wait to use the old "I told you so" when they lose a toe. Anyway, rant over.

ukdan said:
I hate the fact that its one rule for them and another for us, even when its an obvious safety issue.

I have stopped managers twice when out on site because they didn't have hi-viz on. I've also stopped one for not having safety boots on, company has just issued a new H&S directive, "Safety Footwear is compulsory on ALL operational parts of sites" Only places where you can get away with no boots is office or office car park.

joe-90 said:
Thermo said:

Why? You can drive two tonnes of metal and be a complete ****** and kill the innocent.

except you have to have some training and pass a test before you drive one. :rolleyes:

Whilst i know H&S is everyone's responsibility, when i mention about the lack of safety boots on managers to my team leader and supervisor, they just say "tell them then". I could quite easily point out the error of their ways but how come both the TL and Supervisor refuse to acknowledge the fact that their manager and director are standing on the line in nice shoes? Suppose its because they don't want to rock the boat and incur the wrath of their superiors, like we do. It actually beggars belief. Rank hypocrisy, thats what it is.

ukdan said:
Whilst i know H&S is everyone's responsibility, when i mention about the lack of safety boots on managers to my team leader and supervisor, they just say "tell them then". I could quite easily point out the error of their ways but how come both the TL and Supervisor refuse to acknowledge the fact that their manager and director are standing on the line in nice shoes? Suppose its because they don't want to rock the boat and incur the wrath of their superiors, like we do. It actually beggars belief. Rank hypocrisy, thats what it is.

Remind them to read the Health and Safety Act (1974) that should be displayed somewhere on their office wall, paying particular attention to several areas that they are not complying with ;) Then at least you will have complied with one of your duties as an employee :)

Oh, and might be worth stirring things and letting them know that as managers, they should be leading by example :)

Gary_M said:
Remind them to read the Health and Safety Act (1974) that should be displayed somewhere on their office wall, paying particular attention to several areas that they are not complying with ;) Then at least you will have complied with one of your duties as an employee :)

Oh, and might be worth stirring things and letting them know that as managers, they should be leading by example :)

Or you might just make trouble for yourself if you do it in a cocky way. The best way to raise it is politely, without being a smart arse. If you raise it from the point of view of being genuinely concerned for their safety then you are in the right. If you do it in a way to score points against them then you are just asking for a rollicking.

It depends on the firm/site you are woking for. Subbies and contractors are usually in a rocky position when it comes to stuff like this. The organisation I work for acknowledges that the guys running a site usually know what is best, and management permit a litle bit of "direction" from them every now and then. Contractors don't even get onto some of our sites without coming to us for a permit to work...

BoxBasher said:
I only asked because we've just had our annual H&S "conference" where we get told about the new gear we're meant to be getting, and briefed on new procedures etc (in addition to our usual monthly meets).
A member of management asked a few questions including:

1)Who wears PPE at home for DIY jobs?
About half the people in the room stuck their hands up.

2) Who wears their work issue PPE at home for DIY jobs?
I was the only one who stuck my hand up and then he stuck his up too, said that he'd rather people used their works PPE at home than ended up deaf or blind etc.

I think hire shops should provide PPE when hiring equipment out to the public.

Have you ever thought they might be asking them questions just to see who is stealing the ppe supplies

my old business it cost us a fortune to train lads basic things that our insurance deemed necessary , uuurgh

here is a classic , open van door module
case/cretin example
some guy, somewhere had opened his parked vehicle, he had been hit by some fool an they rip his arm off an he cost the insurers millions , as the guy hitting sued them as the guy said , I opened my door ...

that was stupi stuff , an insurers need a class of examiners that workfore pass ... ...B*llocks ...
Im glad I sold up .......
although Daz who bought my half of the firm ,he loved all that side an revelled in management , selling seemed right for me ,an I guess I wouldnt get what I got then know , with new regs/bullsh*t etc

Sponsored Links
Back