Differences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Can someone give me a brief overview between outline, full and detailed planning.

I am going to be buying a plot within the next 6 months and want to make sure that what I am buying is safe and I can get on with the build ASAP.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Outline planning permission
OPP are the basic details such as the type of building you want to build and in what location along with some basic plans. Should this be approved in principal you can then go on to apply for detailed planning permission within 3 years.

Detailed Planning Permission
Detailed planning covers detailed designs and the finer details such as the materials of the building, the landscaping of the property and so on. Construction must begin within 2 years.

Full planning permission
Full planning permission is a combined application of outline and detailed planning. If there is a likelyhood that it may be rejected it can be wise to submit a full application to cover all details and any doubts the authorities may have. Full Planning Permission is valid for five years.

There are only really two options in this situation:

Outline means that the development has been approved in principle subject to approval of details at a later stage. There are several options for which details can be decided later so each situation will be slightly different.

Full planning means what it says on the tin. You have full approval for whatever was included in the application. This will often be subject to conditions though so it is still important to look carefully at what has been approved and what conditions need to be met before, during and after the project is complete.

Any sort of planning permission increases the value of the plot. So you can either buy cheap and apply yourself in the hope of getting permission and cheap land, or pay more for land with some sort of approval to build and no stress

If you buy land with full planning, then you have to build what is approved. However if you buy land with outline approval, then there is scope to alter the design, layout or whatever to something more of your own fancy

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guy's.

This will give me something to think about.

If for example I did buy land with OPP, how long does it roughly take before you can make a start.

Could I submit designs, but then get on with foundations and structure whilst it is going through.

Thanks.

Conditions will be specified on the outline permission. You can't normally start until the outstanding issues have been agreed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back