Different colour tiles on new roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just had an extension built and the roof tiles we used are the same as the existing ones, but as they are brand new, they're a bright red/orange, where the old tiles have gone very dark. Is there any way to treat the tiles to match the colours?

Sponsored Links
They should soon weather down, but I have heard of people "painting" tiles with all sorts of things like bovril to promote algi and moss growth.

Sponsored Links
Thanks LadyLola

It sounds so weird I may try it!

If it were Marmite ,I'd be tempted to lick the roof as I applied it though.... ;)

They wont fade any time soon. It takes years of weathering - UV light and erosion of the surface before they look anything like the existing tiles.

If you wanted a match, then you should have specified a brown/antique colour now

Nothing poured on the roof will do anything, as it will just wash off

Bar changing the tiles, the only advice would be to not look up

Brown in the Marley Mendips was as bad as using the original reds!
I think you're right in that it will take years of weathering - but meanwhile the Bovril sounds like a good option :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back