Different depths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To keep costs down we've bought plain white 150 square tiles and plan to use mainly these, but in every quarter sq mtre the plain white tile will be cut in three strips, the centre strip will be replaced by 3 x 50x50 glass tiles. Problem is the glass tiles are a fair bit deeper than the plain white. Has anyone got any tips for getting them level and even?

Sponsored Links
The only way to get them flat is to remove some of the wall surface under the glass tiles.
I'd tile the walls first, leaving the glass tiles out. Then chisel the wall away where your glass tiles will go. You might be able to use a router depending on your wall surface - this will give you a flat surface.
Have you given any thought to what the cut edges of the white tiles will look like once cut? They won't be perfect you know. It might be better to leave the glass tiles slightly proud so that you can hide the cut edges of the white tiles with grout.
Also, if this is in a shower area, I recommend you tank the walls before tiling - 150mm x 150mm tiles will let a fair amount of moisture pass through to the walls. Not only are they small tiles, they are thin too.
Good luck.

The tiles are for a kitchen, but I'll be using anti-fungal adhesive and grout. I did a trial version but now realise I was given the wrong white tile to use!! I follow what you say about the cut edges and don't mind the glass tiles being slightly raised, but not significantly. I'm hoping to get a good flat surface on the grout - an old credit card works well! :cool:

What would happen if I used substantially less adhesive on the glass tiles (though enough to make 'em stick!).

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I appreciate your replies. I also wondered about sticking a tile spacer side-ways on, behind the thiner tiles. That has the advantage of being able to press them hard against the wall.

Rummaging around in the twilight zone we find the unbelievable truth that a tile spacer set flat against the back of a tile, and with enough adhesive, will match the depth of another tile perfickly! :eek: :eek:

Having tried my leetle experiment, I've saved a smacking £15 PER SQUARE METRE! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Forgetting the idea of putting spacers behind the tiles, you can get tiles flush with other tiles by not pushing them as hard to the walls (or in your case.. pushing them harder to the wall)... it's not rocket science.
If you think you've save £15 per metre then good for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back