Different length "nozzles" 12mm end on monobloc tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new monobloc in a kitchen sink. Very straight forward job. However, the two "nozzles" which connect the 12mm thread to the flexible pipe are two different lengths. One is 18mm, the other is 34mm.
I have not come across this before. It looks as if I can use either tail for the hot or cold and installation is straight forward.

Am I missing something please?

Sponsored Links
They're different length so you can easily nip them with a spanner, although they recommend to tighten them only by hand.

I take it that you mean that the different lengths offset the arrises of the nuts so that that one doesn't get in the way of the other when attempting to nip. I think this sounds reasonable. I always tighten by hand so the use of a spanner never arises. Interesting that the designers believe that we might nip in spite of advice not to!
Thanks Johnny for the suggestion.
Regards. Charles

I take it that you mean that the different lengths offset the arrises of the nuts so that that one doesn't get in the way of the other when attempting to nip. I think this sounds reasonable. I always tighten by hand so the use of a spanner never arises. Interesting that the designers believe that we might nip in spite of advice not to!
Thanks Johnny for the suggestion.
Regards. Charles
Yes, I always thought they act like "do as I say, not as I do".

Sponsored Links
Just fitted the same to replace my 20 year old tails which were the same nut position, finally it seems someone has thought about the design of somthing

I suppose, if you are going to nip, it would be as well to fit the short nozzle first!

That's a good question; required torque is never mentioned. However, it seems to me, that the threads do not start to bite until the "o" rings are pushed in a little.When tightened by hand the two "o" rings are then both well inside the fitting ; and, presumably, these constitute the seal. I daresay any "hand-tight" torque will do.I've never had a problem but each time I have to resist the urge to snug up with a spanner!!

Thanks, this made me chuckle! However, I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" brigade. A tiny nip may end up being a bite and I'll have a leak. I think I'll continue following the instructions.

I'm guilty of giving those tails a little tiny nip.
The hexagonal nut it's too tempting and I can't resist using my very tiny wrench part of a set of 3.
That's the only time it's ever used.

A tiny nip may end up being a bite and I'll have a leak. I think I'll continue following the instructions.
Maybe those hand tight instructions are in place to cater for those who can not gauge a "nip" and therefore will damage the o-ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back