different level line-Bad mistake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been tiling for 25 years and have never ever made this mistake. Putting a datum line round a bathroom ready for tiling. Needed to put level line across dooorway. Lined up top of spirit level with level line on one side of the doorway, but for some stupid stupid reason marked the underneath of the level on the other side of doorway. Started tiling, rapid sticky on plasterboard. When tiling eventually picked up, thickness of spirit level out. All it takes is a second to stop thinking and bang, costly mistake.....

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :oops:
I TOO CAN FESS UP ON THIS ASWELL,

was asked to do a complete kitchen install,by a chippy in his girlfriends house(obviously political)anyways fitted the kitchen,started the tiles AND done exactly the same as you,only found out the following day,luckily i managed to get the tiles off without breaking any,and all it cost me was extra adhesive and time.
easily done aint it. ;)

I have to admit i made this same mistake approx 12 mths ago, if it had not been for my apprentice i truthfully dont think i would have noticed til most tiles were on.

I blame the customers as i was setting my datum line out and they were in the bathroom pestering me, wouldnt care i stepped back and looked, it looked ok.

Back to the tried and trusted water line method now for datum lines

i use my laser level,cant fook that up now can i, :LOL:

then use my levels just to confirm the levels.

Sponsored Links
I jam just in process tiling bathroom for customer , they decided they would like a border tile around the middle, I had already set levels, having bad day, just raised levels so that border tile ran around room under window, yes great till I got to ceiling ended up with a stupid 15 mm gap to cut . :cry: :cry: :cry:

I jam just in process tiling bathroom for customer , they decided they would like a border tile around the middle, I had already set levels, having bad day, just raised levels so that border tile ran around room under window, yes great till I got to ceiling ended up with a stupid 15 mm gap to cut . :cry: :cry: :cry:

:LOL: :LOL:

wow sherlock .. you must have a fast cat .. my laser spins so fast it puts a solid line on the wall :D

Mine makes a dot unless you put an attachment in, and I've always found the dot adequate for playing with the cat. On reflection, I possibly didn't need to buy a laser level.

I'm just a keen DIYer where tiling is concerned but admit I stuffed up good style doing the bathroom. Marked out so that the lower edge of a line of border tiles would fall level with the window cill. The border has a silver strip insert at top and bottom edge to highlight it. Used the water pipe method across the doorway and finished off to the ceiling. Stood back and admired the finish. really pleased as it was all in line and parallel. Next day had the cill to tile and it would be finished. Yep, you've guessed!
I'd forgotten to allw for the silver strip when lining up to the window cill. :evil: So we have a silver strip on the top edge of the tiles in the reveal but the bottom one is hidden by the cill tiles. :oops:

I've done it as well - sooo glad its not just me

Realise before the adhesive had set so got them off OK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back