different sizes of timber

S

snadge

hi

last year my GF ordered Timber from merchants to use as cross-members for a fence, I cant remember what she ordered but the stuff I put up is 45mm X 90mm in exact measurements, now want to get a bit more for a gate but the same merchants (TP) only sell 47mm X 100mm timber... ?? my GF is confident its the same stuff she ordered but why would it be advertised as 100mm when its actually 90mm ...? if its 'rounding off' then why the 47mm..also they sell other sizes like 19x38 why dont they round that off to 20x40 then? just doesnt make sense to me?

I remember when I was treating the wood with creosote in the garage before putting it up a neighbours brother (who is a builder) spotted that the wood was good quality stuff rather than cheaper stuff you would normally use for a fence, so just wondering if she ordered the 47x100 cheap stuff but they have give us something else? something i cant find on their website.. will be calling them tomorrow as we have an acount and should be on the history but thought i would ask on here too..

Im looking for a response on the subject of the thread i.e. sizes.., not 'what wood i should have used' or 'shouldnt put creosote on' or other opinions...thanks !

cheers

Sponsored Links
It's nominal (named) dims vs. actual dims.

Nominal probably depends on custom so it may not now be logical but maybe it once was and actually did reflect reality. I suppose anachronisms are durable, tenacious, old & familiar so they stick around.

planed or worked timber [skirting architraves moldings ] are ex stock size usually quoted in inches
so 2x1" planed comes out at 21x 44mm rather than 25,4x 50.8mm

if you want an actual size ask for "actual finished size"
in general if they quote in imperial [inches] its pre worked size
if its quoted in metric it tends to be actual size

do not buy from travis perkins untill you have shopped around there 40% discount rate is still more expensive than others base price

Sponsored Links
TP advertises in MM.

we just want the same stuff so it looks neat, yeah we should have got it then but we didnt know what we were doing for a gate then and the next door neighbour wants me to build him one too so they are 'matching'

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back