Different substrates - preparation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

I have more questions which I would like some clarification on as I near the start of sorting my bathroom walls prior to tiling.

The first pertains to the plasterboard I am using for the non-wet areas of the walls. This is Lafarge Moisturecheck (i.e. moisture resistant). One side is bright green and the other is a dull light green, I think the bright green is the face side. Do i fit this so that I am tiling onto the face side of the board (i.e. that which has the tapers at the edge).

The second question relates to priming/tanking products. The substrates will be;

Floor - 25mm WBP ply
Shower walls - Knauf aquapanel
Rest of walls - Lafarge moisture check p/b

I am considering priming everything with a decent primer before tiling, however am wondering whether applying tanking to the shower walls would be better. Any views?

For the record, I intend to use BAL adhesives and grout.

Thanks again for the advice.

Sponsored Links
The first pertains to the plasterboard I am using for the non-wet areas of the walls. This is Lafarge Moisturecheck (i.e. moisture resistant). One side is bright green and the other is a dull light green, I think the bright green is the face side. Do i fit this so that I am tiling onto the face side of the board (i.e. that which has the tapers at the edge).
I haven't used this plasterboard, but the tapered edges is so that the joint filler has something to get a grip of, so as you say, that is the finish side so would suggest fitting the tiles to that side.

The second question relates to priming/tanking products. The substrates will be;

Floor - 25mm WBP ply
Shower walls - Knauf aquapanel
Rest of walls - Lafarge moisture check p/b

I am considering priming everything with a decent primer before tiling, however am wondering whether applying tanking to the shower walls would be better. Any views?
For the record, I intend to use BAL adhesives and grout.
Thanks again for the advice.
Knowing the size of tiles you are fitting (from another post), I wouldn't bother. Just make sure you seal the aquapanel to the bath with silicone before you tile.

Thanks for the advice Gcol, priceless!
Hope you're gonna post some pics of this bathroom when you're done? Seems like you're preparing it all very well so you should make a decent job. Just don't rush the tiling. We're here for any more queries, so ask before you stick. ;)

Sponsored Links
Preparation? I've had sleepless nights mithering over it!!

A saying I picked up goes "Fail to prepare - prepare to fail!!!"

I'd rather get everything ready than have a crisis and have to make do with some second rate materials from B&Q at 8:00pm. Merchants all the way for me.

Just a few more things to buy, and decide on then the fun starts.

Thanks again for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back