Different type MCD but same brand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We need to fit a additional MCD to our existing GE consumer unit, which has all Type E style MCDs on it. This additional MCD is for underfloor heating that we need to wire in. I've been told to only fit one of the same brand so I have got a 20A GE Type B MCD but its a Type SP.

Is it OK to fit this?

Sponsored Links
"SP" isn't an actual 'type' of MCB. It merely denotes that it's a single pole (SP) device. The actual 'type' (for domestic innstallations) is Type B.

If you have a GE board and a compatible MCB, use it........

Lucia.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure how to find out if its compatible but it does fit fine and is the same brand so am I right to assume that the MCD will be OK? It looks a little different from the front visually but other than that its similar to the others.

Sparkwright - yes there will be a 30mA passive RCD Spur within this circuit also.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your MCB probably is compatible with the consumer unit, if it's the same make and it fits comfortably.

Send pictures if in any doubt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back