Different types of alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a house and I'm new to this kind of DIY. I was wondering, is one alarm better than the other or is one brand of alarm better than the other, or do they just do the same thing?

Sponsored Links
In the broadest terms they do the similar thing in a similar way.

There are differences. in general many manufacturers have basic systems and advanced systems hard wired and wireless.

However if you want a camera pir then not all brands do them and these days they tend to be wireless systems and some are capable of short video.

Some systems have automatic frequency hopping in the event a radio frequency is causing problems others just try and pick a clear channel on the day of the install.

Always start with a list of what you would like the system to be able to do.

If it’s diy there is a fair choice of equipment out there and depending on your needs will depend on what is best suited for you.

Then getting into the nitty gritty of detectors and there function not all detectors are created equal.

so you could look at a dual element, quad element, dual technology to name a few of the common types of detector.

Even the same manufacturer has different models and these vary in price and functionality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back