different types of flat roofing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, im after some help with links maybe or for people to tell me about different types of flat roofing.

What are the different types? warm deck? isulated? a long lasting vinyl type roofing i have been told about? what are all these?

O and also, on a 7.5 meter flat roof, how much higher should 1 end be than the other so the rain water runs off ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
6 inch would be a good run off.Personally i use felt unless the customer wants something different.You need to know what type of felt though as some is very poor.You want torch on(underlay/mineral cap sheet),2 layer,both layers being high performance torch on,and whats known as sbs,this is the coating that bonds the felt. Its important you specifie this when purchesing(if doing your self) or getting quotes.Icopol technotorch with grooves is VERY good and will easily last 30 years if done correctly.AS for insulation there are many types that can be fitted directly onto your decking and torched over.Kingspan(check their site for further info) but you need the type thats compatible with torch on..

o.k thanks.

Its my own house and im thinking of doing this myself. Done a fair few flat roofs a few years back but things have changed i guess over the years?

I would like a insulated roof but im not sure about how they need to be vented? I take it that if i look into a bonded system then it wont needed to be vented due to air flow being above and below?

Going to have a look at kingspan website :cool:

Sponsored Links
If you go for a warm roof where the insulation is installed above the joists no venting is required.

Celotex have a product called Tempcheck deck flat roof.

Cheers.

If you go for a warm roof where the insulation is installed above the joists no venting is required.

Celotex have a product called Tempcheck deck flat roof.

Cheers.

Thanks, how is the isulation fastened to the joists?
Many types of insulation is just fixed to your boards.Fibre board/cork/celotex-kingspan to name a few,Pour and roll,torch on(some require vapour barrier/rubber vent-vented underlay) or pre fitted decking/insulation in one but the latter is very expensive and no better, just easier for the contracter to fit..

With the deck insulation boards you can use SureTwist fixings or normal screws with washers, eg. 106mm deck use 150mm screws with a washer.

and this product has a plywood or simular glued to the top? or do you need to fix osb etc to the top so you can torch the felt on?

Hi,
Three most common types of flat roofing are:-
1. Built-Up Roof
The BUR roof is the traditional hot tar style that was once quite popular. This material is by far the cheapest solution available and is applied by layering 3 or more stacks of waterproof material with hot tar sandwiched between them, before ballasting the top layer with an additional layer of gravel-type pebbles.
2. Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer
EPDM roofs are made from rubber materials. These roofs are very durable and look quite a bit like the rubber used in inner tubes. There are 3 separate methods used to install; using fasteners, or having them ballasted or glued down.
3. Modified Bitumen
The type involves the attachment of a single ply one, integrated with a mineral-based shield, to the surface of the roof itself. Typically, two types of materials are used: torch-adhesion type and the peel and stick method which is much more simplistic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back