Difficult Screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to get into my dj turntables to replace a cable or two. On the base there are 15 or so screws which came undone fine, but one is causing me some problems. Here's a picture:

77000_76066_6114_13862343_thumb.jpg

as you can see the screw head is getting mashed by the screwdriver. The screw is also embedded in a hole, so there's to be no hacksaw action to create a new head.

The screw isn't that important as there are many others doing a similar job, but i really need to get inside without damaging the chassis. Does anyone have any ideas to help? i've tried spraying some oil and leaving it for a while but that didn't work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As you say you can't use a hacksaw, and you probably can't drill it out either.... Then why not try and superglue the screwdriver point into the screw head,,, hold/leave it until it sets and see if it will turn,,,, push in and turn at the same time.....Just put a small spot onto the screwdriver point...... Clean any oil residue off the screwhead first...... Gotta be worth a try,,, and let us know if it worked !! ;)

Roughcaster.

Drill it out with small HSS drill. Might be able to break the head off to gain access to equipment.

try a different driver bit first assuming youve been using a pz2 try a ph2 pz1 or ph1 or even a flat bit somtimes workes 2mm smaller than the diagonal groove[small electrical screwdriver for example]

Sponsored Links
And here I thought you were talking about the wife! :D

I too usually find that a terminal driver works best for difficult screws in equipment such as this.

He can't do that for the same reason he cannot use a hacksaw blade.

It's in a hole.

BTW, the picture just appears to be all black to me?

Does anyone have any ideas to help?

Is the screw securing a plastic or metal cover? If it's plastic, get a piece of steel tube (car hydraulic brake pipe might suit or, drill into a piece of rod), which will just fit over the head of the screw. File some "teeth" onto one end and cut (trepann) a small section away. If the cover is metal, do the same but, drill into a piece of silver steel then cut the teeth and harden the filed end, ie, heat to red and quench. Take the cover away, remove the screw with a pair of grips and, when the cover is replaced, put a suitable washer under the head of a screw which will replace the mashed up one..

I saw a device in Focus today that fits in to a drill and grips any screw and unscrews it. It worked well on the video. Cost about £10.

A pair of mole grips or decent pliers may be able to shift it.

Looking at the picture now its clearer at home you might be able to use the above mentioned Dremel method.

Have you tried a terminal driver yet?

A pair of mole grips or decent pliers may be able to shift it.

Looking at the picture now its clearer at home you might be able to use the above mentioned Dremel method.

Have you tried a terminal driver yet?
Yeah Matty, I think a Dremel or the likes with a cutting disk would be able to cut a slot easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back