difficult to start when cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi helpers, my car is a scooter :) piaggio 50cc... the scooter will start first time when kept in the garage all night but when left outside all day at work it is always difficult to start I usually end up kick starting it

I have changed the spark plug and charged the battery but with no difference, I have plugged a small hole in the exhast with gumgum but dont suppose thats anything to do with it
any ideas please P M

Sponsored Links
The efficiency of these tiny batteries goes down dramatically when they are cold, so leave the battery on charge overnight (using an appropriate charger of course) and see if the thing comes to life then.
I'm not sure if the Piaggio has an automatic choke or manual, but if it kickstarts into life, there isn't much wrong!
John :)

it started first time this morning after a good charge, how long should a batttery last for its an 09 reg, dont like the idea that you cant turn off the lights at all, maybe i should remove the bulbs in summer !! cheers P M

Sponsored Links
Permanent lighting is de rigeur these days - to accommodate legislation in almost every country but this one.....don't worry too much about it though as there is a charging phase built into the alternator to cope with just this.
I would expect around 6 years for a bike battery really, but ones on 50cc
machines are really small and have a small cold cranking amps capacity so if it doesn't start straight away it normally means that it takes the huff.
The fact that the machine comes from a warmer Italy may have something to do with it....!
Be safe riding in winter! Low sun and frosted windscreens mean poor visibility for car drivers - who generally have difficulty seeing bikers at the best of times!
John :)

Back