United Kingdom
I've had a number of cars start doing this and I've never managed to
get to the bottom of it.
Two protons and now a hyundai.

It seems that the car is difficult to start from cold if the car
has been left a couple of days. But if started every day the car fires
up fine.

The car spins over fine. But it needs full throttle and it sounds as if
it isn't firing on all cylinders. If you keep the engine turning on the starter motor after a few attempts it just manages to get going then
eventually it fires on all cylinders and runs fine after it starts to warm up.
This particular hyundai has had new spark plugs at the start of year.

Suggestions on what is wrong.

Sponsored Links
I have to agree, an ignition problem is the first place to look, followed by the coolant temperature sensor. This device is like a choke in the old days, enrichening the mixture for a cold start.
On fuel injected engines, it shouldn't be necessary to touch the accellerator pedal at all - that too is done for you courtesy of an idle speed control valve.
John :)

On fuel injected engines, it shouldn't be necessary to touch the accellerator pedal at all - that too is done for you courtesy of an idle speed control valve.

As the problem has been common across a number of vehicles I too wondered whether this was more to do with starting technique than a technical problem.

Sponsored Links
I have to agree, an ignition problem is the first place to look, followed by the coolant temperature sensor. This device is like a choke in the old days, enrichening the mixture for a cold start.

Been there on the temperature sensor replaced on the last proton and made no difference. If you don't use full throttle the car just would never get going.
You have to start it on full throttle and keep it hard down until it can just manages to idle on it's own then eventually as the engine warms it will
get doing.
I think I try a new set of HT leads.

As the problem has been common across a number of vehicles I too wondered whether this was more to do with starting technique than a technical problem.

In this instance the hyundai is my wifes car the previous problems were my own protons. Normally it's just clutch in and turn the key.
This technique would never get the car going in it's present condition.

As an experiment, if you cant change the parking location, try placing a piece of carpet or the like under the bonnet while the car is parked up. Be careful and let the engine cool first, and don't forget about it, when you go for a start.
It might be the location, creating excessive dampness under the bonnet, especially if you have trees, or a sheltered area. We had the same trouble with HT leads on a VW, put it in the garage and the problem disappeared.

Back