Spark plugs and starting problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many miles is it usual to go before changing spark plugs these days?

The reason I ask is that I am having an awful job starting my car when it is a damp night or foggy and wondered if it is spark plug related or maybe the leads?

When it does eventually start it only seems to be firing on three cylinders too but when it warms up it is OK again.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi , depends on the manufacturer , iwork at a main dealer and the latest petrol engine models have spark plugs replaced at 36000 miles were as earlier models ranged between 12000 and 20000

The car is a P, I have done about 8000 miles on the existing plugs, it is a 1400i, it is a Citroen ZX. sx
Not sure what the manufacturer says as the book is a bit French :)

horsechessnut said:
Not sure what the manufacturer says as the book is a bit French :)

It's printed in France, what do you expect? :D

Sponsored Links
I would bet more on the HT leads from what you have said. However you may as well change the sparks at the same time. As an irrelevant aside I was once infuriated to see on parts list of my servicing bill 4 new spark plugs. I questioned this with the servicing guy who tried to assure me at the milage of my vehicle this was quite normal.

He went a slightly funny colour when I pointed out it was a V6 SRi !!!

davejwilliams said:
the latest petrol engine models have spark plugs replaced at 36000 miles

What about the spark plugs on a diesel?

Sorry, couldn't resist :LOL:

Just a couple of things to check

Temperature sender (as per Haynes)

Vacume hoses ( make sure thay are all secure and not cracked.

Check the earth strap on the engine.

Finally and I suspect most likely it is your HT leads. Get some good quality ones rather that the cheap options.

I have now replaced the ht leads and that seems to have solved the problem, thanks for your imput.

French the book may be, but XXXXX km is not difficult to decipher.

Just trade the km value into miles.

Sponsored Links
Back