Difficulty removing shower screen handle!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1252.JPG Hi again

Trying to remove rotting metal handle but having difficulties. Am I right in thinking that caps have to be removed are those shown on inside of screen? I've tried to jemmy with screwdriver but v tight. (Screen and handle fitted when we had new bathroom ages ago, so not involved)

Also, width from screw to screw is about 17.5". Are these dimensions likely to be available?

Many thanks.

L

Sponsored Links
Longshanks, good evening.

I must admit I can not ever seen such a handle?

Going by form, the inner [rusted] cap will probably conceal a nut or screw which passes through the screen and attaches to the handle proper.

As for how to remove the rusted cap? how about using a pair of "Footprints" or a shaped pair of "mole Grips"

BUT? there is generally a "But"

If you do attempt this method, use plenty of soft protection around the Cap cloths Etc. using short up and down movements may release the cap enough to then remove by hand.

Next "But" is that you will probably destroy the cap in trying to get it of ? these caps [ it it is anything like one of my Radiators ] are a push type fit.

Only suggestion I can come up with is that once you have removed the rusted cap, try to locate a replacement? or a near fit + Mastic??

WD40 may assist in the removal process??

Is there a makers name anywhere on the screen? if so revert to Google?

Problem with Bathroom White goods is that the manufacturer produces [say] 5000. And as the saying goes, when it is gone it is gone, also these units after a short production run are considered obsolete by the Manufacturers and Retail outlets. Such is the way of this sort of unit.

Ken.

Many thanks Ken

V helpful and clear. I was going to try WD40. but never used this with glass. Will have a go with mole grips as suggested and also search for manufacturer.

Cheers

Hi again

Tried my Mole Grips and WD40, but unable to remove either of the screw covers. Any other ideas?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Is that a small grub screw underneath the cap in the fourth picture? If so soak in penetrating oil and try undoing that.

Mike

if you can lay your hands on a Dremel or similar, the little cutting wheel will slot the cap enough for you to twist it off. Given time, they will even cut through a nut.

Unless your hand is far steadier than mine, you will break several disks while working, by misaligning them with the cut. But you can buy multipacks very cheaply on ebay or at discount retailers. Try to fix up some kind of brace or hand support.

The cutting wheel is not a grindstone, it looks like a thin hard disk about as thick as stiff paper, and I suppose is made of abrasive dust baked with a binder.

you could also do it with an angle grinder, but with much more risk of breaking the glass.

IMG_1255.JPG IMG_1256.JPG Thanks for more helpful suggestions. No, not a grub screw, as new photos indicate. Interestingly, the metal section only seems to be protruding under one of the two caps. Will pursue suggestions and report back.

Unless my eyes deceive me, it looks like a curved screen on a P-shaped bath? Finding a replacement handle with 450mm hole centres (sounds the most likely size) and with a matching arc will probably prove difficult in itself, but may be possible.
Pics are a bit difficult to see every angle but as far as the removal goes, do you think the 'caps' could have been siliconed in place as extra security to their usual fixing method? This, along with the corrosion, could be what's making it a PITA to remove.

I was thinking that if you could get it out, you could fix a couple of stainless eyebolts (with rubber washers) and slide a piece of bar or tube that had been bent and was a good fit through the eyes. you could even use a straight bar, but the bolts would have to be long enough to clear the curve.

It would be easier to just fix a doorknob through the hole closest to the opening edge.

Thanks again. I'm not sure if silicone was used. (bathroom done a while ago and fitter now retired)

Could I try a thin metal bit to drill through caps at different angles to weaken them, to ease removal?

Otherwise, thinking I'll need to replace screen itself!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back