Digging fenceposts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last time I did this it took ages with a pick and shovel and obviously the hole was much wider than necessary to accommodate the tools. Need to do the other side of the garden now and was considering either a manual auger (petrol driven too expensive for 6 posts) or a post hole digger which looks like 2 narrow shovels facing each other and which you drive into the ground, scoop up a bit of earth etc. Has anyone used these? Preferences? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I guess it all depends on what sort of ground it is......those two spade things are fine in soil but struggle in stony ground.
A drainage spit would be used in time gone by, and it's still a very good tool!
It would be a petrol auger hire for me......
John :)

Sponsored Links
Pinch bar/fencing bar is what you need for breaking up the soil.

The Roughneck post hole digger will do the job fine for a few posts but it's not as good as a proper shuvholer

After having dug 18 of the ruddy things at the weekend I can tell you what you don't need: a broken spade and a trowel!

Having dug 22 5' deep holes for piles in extremely pebbley ground (melted tip of a "Beaver" powered auger), a wet and dry vacuum cleaner with a 2 1/2" hose is good. use a poker to break up the soil, use vacuum cleaner to remove it.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back