Digital camera effective resolution

Pete, I too was considering the speed: I read some customer reviews for one of the Sony ones that said it was lightning fast (W17, if I recall correctly). When I've been at parties and someone says "Hey, I'm going to take a picture!" there is nothing worse than striking a pose and having to hold it for 10 seconds whilst the camera does its thing :LOL:

I already have a phone with a 1.3 MP camera. My mate has the 2mp Sony-Ericcson one linked to. The pictures are good for a camera phone, but when you load them onto your PC, I would be disappointed if I had bought an actual camera that produced pictures like that. Great for inpromptu snaps, very useful in the case of a stacked car too. But comparing them to digital camera snaps, the quality isn't up to much. More pixels doesn't always equal more quality :D

Cheers for all the advice and experience guys, I don't think I'm going to limit myself to Sony now. I'm fortunate enough that my dad has just bought a new laptop so has given me his old one. So, still no need to buy lots of cards... although presumably a 1GB card should be enough for several hundred snaps! No need to get myself an 8GB one just yet :D

Right, this is going to take a couple of weeks more reading I think. I'll have to read up on this whole "effective pixel thing" (thanks Freddie)

Oilman: :p (I did say anyone who suggests an EOS-350 gets a big raspberry! ;))

Sponsored Links
breezer

well said about how well they are these cams .. at the end of the day ... if her in doors.. is a bit .. well dire .. no amount of mps are gonna SORT IT ..
lol ..lol.....lol.

I know my wife got a cam phone thing with a video thing on it, an she ......was a dirty monkey with us yesterday .. (what I want to Know when they video cap its not on the net ,is it ??...?)

Yep, that would have been beamed around the world and back several times by now, you are probably famous like that chap that used to be married to pamela anderson of bay watch booby fame :LOL:

Moz said:
breezer

well said about how well they are these cams .. at the end of the day ... if her in doors.. is a bit .. well dire .. no amount of mps are gonna SORT IT ..
lol ..lol.....lol.

I know my wife got a cam phone thing with a video thing on it, an she ......was a dirty monkey with us yesterday .. (what I want to Know when they video cap its not on the net ,is it ??...?)

Saw it ..... 'MozDoz' or summat like that?? Not a pretty sight ! :)

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
breezer

lol ..lol.....lol.

Hey Moz is she on Project Voyeur or UK Exhibitionist this week?? and what section the upskirt or the dogging?? :LOL:

Anyone can be famous nowadays you dont need brightlights and tinsel town just a sony ericcson :LOL:

Freddie said:
Moz said:
breezer

lol ..lol.....lol.

Hey Moz is she on Project Voyeur or UK Exhibitionist this week?? and what section the upskirt or the dogging?? :LOL:

What are you like Freddie? :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What did 'arold S used to call his old dad?? :D :D :D :D :D

empip said:
What did 'arold S used to call his old dad?? :D :D :D :D :D

You dirty old man!!!! :D Yeah but how do you lot know about it? and dont say someone told you about them---me i was using a public computer and come across them by accident ;) :D

AdamW said:
Does anyone know what "effective" resolution is?
I think it's another manufacturer's term for interpolation. ie getting more pixels through software manipulation or resampling than the CCD actually can resolve.

A camera cannot use all the pixels that it has to record the image.
The pixels that it can use are referred to as effective pixels. It is the number of effective pixels that you should take into account when you are assessing a digital camera's capabilities.
So if you have a lickle compact sharpshooter, you may be paying for the sensor which is used in a larger camera, even tho' your camera only uses a percentage of the available pixels.
There are other reasons too ... All googleable, and all pretty much referenced previously in this thread.. :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back