Digital inclinometers - How accurate is yours?

Of all the tools and gadgets in the world, this is one I have never felt a need for or seen a use for. I use levels, bevel gauges to transfer angles to tools, and straightforward calculation if I want real accuracy. I suspect two sides and a right angle measured to the mm give you a calculated angle to a much higher precision than a little inclinometer. You might as well use an app on your phone....

Sponsored Links
If any of you own one of these devices (or something similar) does yours read 0, 90, 0, 90 in relative angle mode on a flat surface as you rotate it, or does yours suffer the same issue as mine?

Yes, I have got one, it is accurate, but you are being silly comparing the angles of the moulded sides against the calibrated and accurate base. The base is the reference, the sides of the case angles are without meaning. The angles of the other three sides are meaningless, they are moulded plastic and will vary.

Yes the small square inclinometers are niche and intended more for engineering applications were the surface being measured is more likely to be small in length or a true even plane so that the small size of the unit gives a true reading of the surface being read. They are no good for timber or suchlike, or perhaps many DIY tasks.

Digital displays are useful in longer levels. I have an analogue dial inclinometer/angle measurer in a level and whilst accurate, it's fiddly to adjust and read. The digital sensor is just as accurate and the display much easier to read so the nett accuracy is actually greater.

Sponsored Links
Of all the tools and gadgets in the world, this is one I have never felt a need for or seen a use for. I use levels, bevel gauges to transfer angles to tools, and straightforward calculation if I want real accuracy.
The main application I have found it useful to have a clinometer for is dealing with works on existing large cut roofs (i.e. as in the size of a mill) - so existing buildings with nary a drawing in sight... My main need was to help in forming balconies, etc for which conventional sliding bevels, etc were just too small. I have to admit the only other work has been on stairs (wall panelling, hand rails, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back