Digital TV. How do I get it???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems in my current house because I do not seem to be able to get a digital signal. Am I doing somethnig wrong or do I need some type of adapter?

Sponsored Links
Modern TV's have some form of digital TV built in but older sets need an add on box. There are a whole variety of boxes from cigarette box size to the all singing dancing with hard drives and DVD recorders.

There are two types of signal DVB-S and DVB-T the S uses a satellite dish and the T uses a Yargi Beam some have HD outputs some have SCART output and some use an RF output.

By using these converters and maybe a transponder if old 405 line set even sets built in the 1930's will still receive TV signals.

However there is a problem with the time signal sent out on analogue as it seems the converter boxes do not re-transmit the time signal.

many thanks. Really helpful. I'll have a look around and see whats available. Thought I was going mad!! Technology huh!!

Sponsored Links
If I get a hard drive, is there any way of taking the information off it when it fills up? :?:

The Humax 9300T and the Topfield PVR both allow you to upload files to a PC.

A dvd recorder with a Hard drive and a digital tuner will allow you to record to the hard drive then "burn" the programmes on a blank DVD for safe keeping.
When shopping for anything like this look for the DVB logo and usually a pink digital tick sticker.

not only do you need to have a digital tv or a digital box but you may also need to upgrade your aerial to a digital compatable one (not that expensive from Bodge & Quick or any of the major DIY sheds)

There is no such thing as a digital aerial. However in some areas to get all the digital signals in the band they are more spread out than with analogue so you may need a wide band aerial. However for the same gain as a narrow band aerial they are physical bigger so have more air resistance so need bigger mounting poles and brackets so only use if required.

As to Hard Drives and DVD recorders because of digital there are many for sale very cheap without the digital encoders. These can still be used with a converter box but take a little more to set the record.

As analogue stops the auto correct function will stop working and you will need to be more careful on setting times. But at half price I felt well worth while.

Having first had a DVD recorder only then changed it for DVD with Hard Drive the latter was much better as it allowed one to trim off advert at start and finish and skip adverts in the recorded program before writing onto DVD so 40 mins is reduced to 30 mins so more on DVD.

With just DVD I used all re-writeable DVD's as write only seemed to fail a lot. However with combined unit I use write only if one does fail I can always do it again.

Having said that my Sky+ is far far easier to program and much less likely to ever miss a record. Although the ability to skip adverts is harder to do than with Philips Hard Drive. Also not as easy to skip back when you miss something or to after watching decide you would like to keep a hard copy.

The Hard Drive / DVD recorder will keep the last 6 hours of watching very handy when you fall asleep in front of the set.

I am sure there is a way to get Sky+ to do the same but with Hard Drive it is always set to Sky so it records 6 hours back even if I change channel but with Sky+ as soon as I change channel I lose what was backed up.

I have both so have best of both but if asked to have either Sky+ or Hard Drive / DVD recorder without freeview it would be latter as the units will not last as long as the DVD's it burns and I also use it to burn DVD's from web cam and digital camera.

Do I think it is worth paying double to get built in Freeview no I don't mine cost less than £100 new.

Problems yes if I record at lowest quality i.e. 8 hours on 1 DVD then sometimes it fails. Recording with 4 hours for 1 DVD I have had no problems.

On the odd time it has crashed and I have needed to unplug and re-boot but this has only happened on odd time.

I also have free to sat boxes and these don't have as good a program guide as Sky boxes but can be used for other satellites and allow you to remove the programs you don't want so no need to wade through all the programs you can't or don't want to watch. If your not going to pay for a Sky package then get a Free to sat box now Channel 5 etc. are no longer encrypted so advantage of Sky box is only the EPG but weigh that against having to wade through all the rubbish programs I think free to sat is better option.

With the 5 sat boxes I have used every one has plus and minus points but all free to sat boxes seem to be more sensitive than the Sky boxes and some also have connections for rotators so box also controls direction of dish and what satellite it points to this is not available on Sky boxes.

Hope that helps you make up your mind. Free to sat in Lidl and Screwfix around the £40 as you go to rotators etc the sky's the limit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back