digital

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi members, im new to this so here goes, if i change my roof aerial to a digital one do i need to change the coax? as the free box said no signal i have tested the box and it works ok, the coax is from the old aerial, can anyone shed some light please, happy christmas to you all. :)

Sponsored Links
Suck it and see.

The cable will probably be okay if it's a direct run from aerial to TV, but digital signals are more sensitive to bad connections, kinks in the cable etc.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you already changed it and it doesn't work?

Does it still work on analog stations? If not I'd guess the connections to the aerial were not made correctly, that being about all you've changed.

or he has brought a set top box and gets a bad / poor signal, hence use a signal amp

What is your analogue signal like? Try putting your postcode in wolfbane below.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

It will give you a rough idea as to what your signal is like in the area.
There's no such thing as a digital aerial,I ts the manufacturers ploy to get more money as an aerial doesn't know wether the signal is analogue or digital.
What is important that you get the right aerial group for the transmitter so have a look at the link below and check whch transmitter serves you and will tell you which group you need.

http://www.ukfree.tv/txlist.php

If you change the aerial you should change the coax as well,If your signal has just degraded then it's possible your coax could have water in it (very common) iv'e had plenty calls saying there's water coming out of their set.
Also have alook at he link below this will explain aerials.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

andy

the old coax is prob cheap low loss cable and full of water by now id guess. Replace it with either RG6 or CT100 sold in the DIY stores as satellite cable. It should be a straight run down with no joints or kinks in the cable.
The good quality CT100 tpye cable usually has a digital tick on the drum and a CAI approved logo too, this has a copper foil screen and a copper braid.

if i change my roof aerial to a digital one

Its not always a con to need to change your aerial to a digital (wideband) one, in a lot of areas the digital multiplexes are out of the locally assigned bands that the analogue channels are in (quite often analogue channel five is too)

I know that where I am, a band A aerial (correct for the area), will only pick up one of the digital multiplexes from the local transmitter, leaving you with a fraction of the digital channels you should have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back