OK I have a new aerial but still got problems...please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to get freeview to work at home, north devon, I have now bought a new wideband aerial (Triax Unix 52) and installed it temporarily to see if it will work. Half the trouble is that it is a bit out in the sticks here and were in a valley, but freeview.com etc say we can get it.

So I have put this aerial at the top of the field, so it has a good clear sight, and got it pointing toward North Hessery Tor. Huntshaw Cross is closer but gives a poorer quality signal.

I have approx 80m of coax (perhaps this is too much?) running from the aerial to the booster and into my digital tv, but I cant pick up any freeview channels. The terrestial picture is not brilliant by a long shot either.

What else can I do to get this working? Is the aerial suitable? Is 80m of coax to much?

All your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Sponsored Links
i had a similar problem, i solved it by installing an aerial / signal amplifer

kept old claped out areial

Ah.. just seen on www.ukfree.tv that it looks as if Hessary Tor does not transmit in freeview until 2009?

But if my analogue picture is rubbish when pointing toward Huntshaw then are the chances of reciving digital going to be nil?

Sponsored Links

Is that not the same as a booster??

not really, 80m of coax is along way for a non amplified signal to go.
the best bet is a signal amplifier, which can be powered from the coax via a power supply at the tv end, at the aerial end not at the tv end as when it is at the tv end it will be amplifying al the noise signals that the coax has picked up as well as the signal that the aerial has picked up.
i trust your are using good quality double screened cable ie wf100 or similiar

Is that not the same as a booster??

not really, 80m of coax is along way for a non amplified signal to go.
the best bet is a signal amplifier, which can be powered from the coax via a power supply at the tv end, at the aerial end not at the tv end as when it is at the tv end it will be amplifying al the noise signals that the coax has picked up as well as the signal that the aerial has picked up.
i trust your are using good quality double screened cable ie wf100 or similiar

have a look at this site http://www.aerialsandtv.com/index.html
for good impartial info

i would say no.

it seems to be for sky, it doesnt seem to have co ax connections , as in tv coax

do what i did, buy one in b & Q

without, very poor signal, only got 1 or 2 chnnels,

with great picture and great signal, lots of channles

What would be the maximum cable run do you think if using one of these mast head amps too? Just that there is possibly a better location for the aerial, but is a bit further away again! How much do B&Q do them for?
Thanks..

Where abouts are you in Devon? I maybe able to offer some advice.

80m is far too far without a masthead amp. You may even need to fit an amp half way too!

It can get a little bit tricky - you can end up amplifying too much......It can be a little trial and error without test kit and experience.

Where abouts are you in Devon? I maybe able to offer some advice.

80m is far too far without a masthead amp. You may even need to fit an amp half way too!

It can get a little bit tricky - you can end up amplifying too much......It can be a little trial and error without test kit and experience.

I'm in North Devon, about 10 miles south of Barnstaple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back