Freeview problem - please help....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, trying to get freeview to work at home, we live out in the sticks a bit, but there is a relativly good signal through terrestial. I have connected the freeview box and get a medium to good signal strength of 64% but the quality is only 2% - and hence freeview doesnt work. What is the cause of low quality, the aerial is quite old, but I tried putting up a new aerial but still couldnt get it any higher. Freeview.com says that I should be able to get a good signal at my address.

I am running it thorough a booster too. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.... :D

Sponsored Links
Long long, and how old, is the coaxial cable that you're using?

How many connections do you have between the aerial and the Freeview box?

Is your aerial the right group to pick up the freeview transmissions?
There are several different groups available, and wideband aerials, which should pick up nearly all broadcasts.

Is it set up with the correct polarization (horizontal / vertical)?
Television transmissions are usually horizontal polarisation from main transmitters, and vertical from local repeaters.

Is it looking at the transmitter?

Are there any big obstructions in your 'line of sight' to the transmitter?
Big obstructions (buildings etc.) may leave you only receiving a signal reflection, which may be distorted.

Is your downlead OK?
There are all sorts of grades of coax (and prices) available. Some are noticably better than others. Old leads may be damaged by water ingress and corrosion.
Badly made joints or tees off the aerial downlead can result in unwanted signal reflection and losses within the cable, destroying the signal quality.

Is the aerial booster compatible with digital transmissions?
Some boosters just cannot handle digital signals.

The signal quality is more important than the signal strength. This gives an indication of the signal to noise ratio. An aerial booster generally amplifies everything it receives, both the signal, and the unwanted noise. Although you end up with a stronger signal, it will still be just as distorted as a weaker one.

Thanks for your replies!! The existing aerial on the house is probabily about 20 years old, and so is the coax. Its probabily about a 20m run, to the first coax point, which is where I was plugging into. Wouldnt be surprised if this was a problem, but then I did try with rigging up another aerial.

Nothing really in the way of site, only a few tree branches, but not to much I wouldnt have thought.

The aerial I tried rigging up temporary was on a coax of about 40m long (what is the max I should be using?), and the coax was double shielded (it had a foil as well as the braiding.)It made no difference at all with this aerial to the signal strength wether the aerial was on the chimney or lying on the floor for some reason. Im not sure if its wideband or not, as its a spare one I found at work. How can I tell if its wideband? Do you want a picture of it? It has some of the prongs slightly bent, but nothing major.

I had the aerial (both actually) pointing at the transmitter (which is Huntshaw Cross in N. Devon) with it horizontal, (i think this would be correct according to your info as huntshaw is the main transmitter.)

The booster is compatiable with digital too.

Are there aerial companies which will come and set up freeview, and you only pay if you can get it, if that makes sense?
Thanks again, sorry for the long post!! :D

Sponsored Links
Im not sure if its wideband or not, as its a spare one I found at work. How can I tell if its wideband? Do you want a picture of it? It has some of the prongs slightly bent, but nothing major.
Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

You said you'd tried a new aerial.

You haven't.

Stop messing about and go and buy the correct aerial.

Not all digital transmissions necessarily come from the same transmitter as the old analogue ones.

A proper installer will have all the equiptment to test the signal before starting the installation.
Cheap wall plates are a bad idea for a digital signal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back