Dim question about dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, this is a stupid question. If you have a dimmer switch regulating say a 100W bulb and the dimmer switch is adjusted so that the light is dimmed, will the amount of energy consumed be less than a simple on/off switch where the 100W bulb is powered fully? Does that make sense?

Secondly, the dim/bright courtesy lights that can now be fitted outside your house which are normally dim but go into bright mode when the PIR picks up movement, do they use (a lot) less energy in dim mode than in bright mode?

Sorry they’re such stupid questions. It’s just that I’ve just fitted a light to the front of the house which comes on as soon as it gets dark. It has a 20W low energy bulb in but I feel that this may be annoying to the neighbours. I could put in a lower wattage bulb but then the light would not be as effective. I will ask the neighbour who is most likely affected by the light but she’s so friendly she’ll just say something like “Oh no, it doesn’t bother me at all. I’m just on my way to the opticians now as my eyes are feeling all gritty!” :eek:

If I fit a dim/bright light then I will have to use an incandescent lightbulb which obviously uses more energy. I don’t want to assist in consuming more of the Earth’s fossil fuels than necessary and am also thinking of my wallet so don’t want to install a different light if it is going to use stacks of energy.

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Fit a PIR to the wall below your existing dusk to dawn light. And if you really want to please the neighbours and your wallet, use a CFL floodlight angled so all the light goes downwards. Coach lights are awful because the light goes everywhere, it is uncontrolled. And position and adjust the PIR so that it will only activate upon movement withing the light's useful area. Dont have it come on when someone walks past on the pavement, for example. A couple of useful links below. TLC very good service.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...light_Index/Floodlights_Smartflood/index.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...urity_Lighting_Index/PIR_Detectors/index.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back