Dimable directional (eg tilt) recessed lights for bathrooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I was looking for suggestions on recessed dimmable lighting for the bathroom, that would look good and provide a warm natural kind of light.

I have loft space above my bathroom that's easily accessible for any installations, I just need to buy it and then my dad's friend who is an electrician will fit it :)

Cheers,

James

Sponsored Links
out of interest, has the electrician suggested any routes to take, for resessed lighting you have a few choices, theres halogen, LED, CFL etc...

Nope,

It's my dads mate and my dad has just mentioned that he'd like him to come round to do a bit of work, which is fine for a few beers as long as I can get everything sorted myself with respect to buying the right bits etc. I kind of figured that's fair enough for a freebie! Unfortunately I had an idea but it seems that it won't work too well. I must say, I wouldn't suggest halogen downlighters on this forum if I were you :)

Also, CFL are the nergy saving bulbs, right? I'd really rather not have them. Happy to pay my way with higher electrical costs if neccessary, but don't want to compromise on lighting that I dislike. :)

These

are good. PL lights are much quicker to warm up than all-in-one compact fluorescents that they give away for 10p now.

If you want to dim them, you'll need one of these in each fitting. But they are £40 a pop, which seems a bit excessive in a £15 fitting :LOL:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
you can go down the LED route if you like although the lamps are expensive.

Is you dads electrician mate able to notify the LABC for you?

I don't know what notfiy the LABC means but he's "part P qualified" [in laymans terms, sorry if that's not the right terminology!] so I imagine he can do everything he needs to :)

These

are good. PL lights are much quicker to warm up than all-in-one compact fluorescents that they give away for 10p now.

If you want to dim them, you'll need one of these in each fitting. But they are £40 a pop, which seems a bit excessive in a £15 fitting :LOL:

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately I do want to dim them if possible so I guess that's out of the question. Any idea on whether they are IP65? As it appears from all your advice that my ideal light doesn't exist so I may have to just compromise on the dimming.

Does anyone know of any bathroom dimmers apart from "dimpull"? Someone suggested there were alternatives but my googling skills clearly aren't much cop!

Cheers,

James

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
have you considered multiple switching so you can alter the number of lights on rather than dimming to get various light levels?

Might open the possibility of illuminated mirror/bathroom cabinet etc. even just some wall lights?

If you can't find an alternative that you like, then you are at liberty to install the downlights that you first mentioned, just be advised that they are not efficient by comparsion to other forms of lighting and may give you problems with compliance to various parts of the building regs depending on how they are fitted.

Its then upto you to weigh up the pros and cons of efficiency, installation and running cost against cosmetic appeal

have you considered multiple switching so you can alter the number of lights on rather than dimming to get various light levels?

Might open the possibility of illuminated mirror/bathroom cabinet etc. even just some wall lights?

If you can't find an alternative that you like, then you are at liberty to install the downlights that you first mentioned, just be advised that they are not efficient by comparsion to other forms of lighting and may give you problems with compliance to various parts of the building regs depending on how they are fitted.

Its then upto you to weigh up the pros and cons of efficiency, installation and running cost against cosmetic appeal

Thanks for the info.

I think I will get my dad to speak to his friend about multiple switches then.

Alternatively, apart from being IP65 and fire-rated, what else do I need to consider for the building regs when buying the lights, or is it just an "on installation" problem, that Keith can sort when he comes?
Thanks,

James

You dont need anything fire rated, unless theres another dwelling above yours (flats).

You should, however, ensure they are sealed against moisture ingress to the unconditioned loft.

You dont need anything fire rated, unless theres another dwelling above yours (flats).

You should, however, ensure they are sealed against moisture ingress to the unconditioned loft.

Thanks Steve. :)

There is no dwelling above mine, but I figure that fire-rated would be safer, regardless... I won't worry too much about this aspect from now on though when choosing lights :)

The IP65 I understood to be adequate protection from moisture ingress :)

Cheers,

James

Fire rated fittings are not required, they won't make anything safer.
Fire rated fittings (and fire hoods for normal types) are designed to temporarily stop fire spreading through the holes in the ceiling. Therefore if your bathroom was on fire, they would protect your loft space from the fire for a short period (an hour or so).

IP65 fittings are not required in a bathroom either, the minimum requirement is IPX4 (although nothing wrong with exceeding the minimum requirements)

Even with IP65 units, this does not guarantee that they will prevent moisture entering the loft space via the fittings - the rating will apply to the fitting itself, not necessarily the seal between the fitting and the ceiling.
Whatever is fitted, they will still require some kind of enclosure constructing above the lights so that insulation can be supported a suitable distance away from the fittings.
Leaving huge gaps in the insulation is not an option.

If you want swivel downlights, you will have a hard time finding those which are IP65 rated - although they exist, choices will be extremely limited, as the design generally results in a gap between the swivel and fixed parts.

Thanks flameport.

I think I may drop the idea of swivel lights as I can only find one and you seem to get a lot more choice if you get non-swivel.

"Whatever is fitted, they will still require some kind of enclosure constructing above the lights so that insulation can be supported a suitable distance away from the fittings.
Leaving huge gaps in the insulation is not an option."

Do you mean directly above, or around the edge of the part in the loft? If I need to build a little frame (I'll get my dad to do it!) then that's cool, but wouldn't it still trap the heat in if the insulation went over the top of the light? (eg, completely covering it as you look from the loft).

Cheers,

James

JC94020A.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ghts_Index/Picture_Menu_Downlights/index.html

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back