Dimmable LED Ceiling lights buzzing and then shut off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We recently had our kitchen done but we have a problem with our Dimmable LED spotlights in the kitchen.

Sometimes, but not always, I hear a loud buzzing from the lights and then they shut off.

I have 10 of them, controlled by a dimmer switch on the wall of which ONE of these dimmers controls all 10.

The dimmer is rated as follows:-
ss-ll-40-lts203-00w_web.jpg

And the LED bulbs are
20220605_095657.jpg

Which I believe would put at 10 of them at 50W so not apparently an issue for this 100W rated dimmer.

I can get another dimmer, I was considering https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293114373376 perhaps.

However I'm wondering if I should return the switch as faulty or if I'm missing something here.

Can I get your wizened knowledge?

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Each lamp has a driver module that controls the current through the LED elements in the lamp. The drivers will be using high frequency ( > 10kHz ) switching to control the current driven through the LED elements .

The drivers can interact with each other as they take power from the dimmer switch and this interaction can result in the drivers becoming unstable in the way they draw power from the dimmer switch, This then makes the dimmer's switching become un-stable and this un-stable operation produces buzzing. It can also cause overheating which will cause the dimmer switch to shut down.

It is a hit and miss situation when mixing LED lamps and dimmer switches.

Thanks, can I ask what you would recommend here then?

Trying a different dimmer, replacing the switch etc?

Sponsored Links
yes - we have had the same issue...they are wired in series so one is kitching off...look for the first one that flashes that's normally the culprit....and as for being new ...new from where according to the date stamp they were made in 04/20....

yes - we have had the same issue...they are wired in series so one is kitching off...look for the first one that flashes that's normally the culprit....and as for being new ...new from where according to the date stamp they were made in 04/20....
Fair shout, they were installed by our kitchen supplier. They do look unused though.

I’ll wait until next time I hear the buzzing, try to find the culprit and disconnect it with the lights on to see if the buzzing stops.

I haven’t seen any flickering at all though.

Many thanks for all the feedback here, however I don't feel any further forward in what step to take next.

It seems that there no 100% guarantee easy way to fix this as it could be either the bulbs or the dimmer at fault but I think we've ruled out wiring.

So, as above I can replace the bulbs (I'm thinking Philips CoreLED dimmables) or buy a new dimmer (One of these 0-120 W ones https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293114373376).

Or maybe I've missed something and you'd suggest something else?

Would sometime like to let me know their gut feeling here?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Replacing the dimmer with a decent one designed for LEDs would be the most obvious choice, and not buying it from ebay.

Hi folks,
Just so you know, I switched out the dimmer for a Varilight v-pro MJP120 dimmer and it works!

No more buzzing (yet).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back