Dimmable leds and varilight vpro - odd new behaviour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light fitting with 7x 5w e14 edison bulbs.
Dimmer is a varilight vpro.

Bulbs are chinesium from Amazon, specifically mention using the Varilight Vpro as the preferred dimmer.

I've noticed a new behaviour. When turning on, there's now a 1 or 2 second delay before they light up. On a low setting, only 1 bulb turns on, turn it up slightly, then the second. Turn it up more and they all turn on. Always the same 2 fittings.

All new behaviour.

I reckon its the bulbs at fault. I don't however have 7 more dimmable bulbs to test with.

Thoughts? Sounds like I made a mistake cheaping out with the bulbs and they are on the way out. Shall I return them and buy a named brand?

[Edit]
Any recommendations for a frosted, dimmable,golf ball shaped e14?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Varilight dimmers have a soft start, so there will always be a slight delay when turning on, although 2 seconds is excessive.

The low setting can be adjusted to avoid the not turning on problem. Have you tried the dimmer in different drive modes?

The low setting can be adjusted to avoid the not turning on problem. Have you tried the dimmer in different drive modes?

I know there's a low setting to tune it. It was more that they didn't do this, and 12 weeks later they have started doing behaving differently.

Same with different mode - havent tried. I cannot recall if the bulbs are leading or trailing edge, but, it was configured as per the bulb guidance and worked aok until recently.

This makes me suspect something in the bulb circuitry not behaving as it was / not trust them.

Do brand name dimmable leds require changing tbe low setting months after installation?

Sponsored Links
I've changed the modes on the dimmer and none make any difference to the start up delay, or, on the low setting only 2 bulbs turn kn.

I have set the lower power cut off, so lowest setting has all bulbs on.

Still when I turn it on (regardless of power setting) the same 2 bulbs turn on first, then the other 5 about half a second later.

They never used to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back