Dimmer Brightness Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently bought a 1G 2W 400W Dimmer for one of my bedrooms. I have installed these before with no problems but this one is confusing me. When the switch is turned to full power, the bulb (standard 60w light bayonet bulb) only glows with half the power I.e. you can see the filament glow but not much?!? When the dimmer is then turned anti-clockwise, the light switches off before the dimmer has been fully rotated. I have tried other bulbs, the switch in a different room and I have even replaced the switch for a new one with the same specs?
Please help!

Sponsored Links
1. does the dimmer have a minimum rating? try a 100 watt bulb in the same fitting (temporarily).

2. Does the light fitting in question supply any other equipment (fan, shaver socket)

If 1. doesnt work and 2. isn't true, your dimmer is goosed. Take it back.

Hi,

The dimmer has a rating of 60-400W stamped on the back of it, it is supplying one light in a bedroom that is operated solely on that one switch.
The dimmer is a Crabtree, brushed chrome 1G2W 400W, should I be using a different rating? It will be getting returned tomorrow and I would ideally like to put a dimmer in the room, before we moved in, the house had a full re-wire. Is it possible that the electrician has used low voltage cabling or reduced the supply to the room? I have tried the dimmer in a different room and I still have the same fault.
I have a 1G2W 500W dimmer in my living room attached to a 2 switch circuit and it works great?!?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Should I try a different rated switch or the same? It has already been swopped once for the same switch?

As long as the rating of the lamp is within the range of the dimmer then you are OK.

Have you also recently replaced the light fitting you are trying to dim?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back