Dimmer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have two rows of five pendent lights, each with a 60w bulb, which are controlled by a 2 gang dimmer switch. The other day, one side of the lights went out, so I replaced the old one with one from Scre**x it's a 2G 2W 2 x 400VA. Worked fine, but I noticed that the light furthest away from the switch on the originally faulty row was significantly brighter than the others. Now that side of the new dimmer switch has also packed in.

Any ideas wou;d be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Sponsored Links
UPDATE: Just checked and it turns out the 'bright bulb' turns out to be a halogen bulb! Would this be the reason for the switch blowing?

Thanks
Gary

UPDATE: Duh! I meant to say a Low energy bulb, not halogen.

Thanks
Gary

That's quite likely to be the cause - most energy saving bulbs cannot be dimmed (as in, even if you dim them they're likely to stay fairly bright as you saw). Unfortunately, by dimming them you basically end up with a load the dimmer really isn't expecting (I'm sure someone else can go in to the technical details), which can quite easily damage it by causing bits to overheat or whatever...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help Rebuke. Changed over the switch & removed Low Energy bulb. That seems to have solved the problem.

I'll repost if the problem persists even with the Low Energy bulbs out.

Thanks again,

Gary
AMDG

Hi Steve,

I realise it might seem a bit strange, but the lights in question are in a restaurant that I own. I am a plumber, and my wife runs the restaurant. I only really pass through the restaurant, and therefore don't have much to do with the day to day running of it, and as you can imagine, the staff don't call me if a bulb needs changed. So bulb pops, staff replaces it with a Low energy job, and zaps the dimmer.

Believe it or not, as a plumber I actually done a course and passed as 'part P' qualified!! I'd be the first to tell you that the course is a piece of nonsense, if you don't have the previous knowledge. It seems you pay your money you get your qualification! Dangerous! I still sub out most of my electrical work.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Regards
Gary
AMDG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back