Dimmer pull cord problem

But that could be down to dimmer/ transformer compatibility in stllp's case .

Rf's and mine have lasted in excess of 10 years, however winstons right, theres no way really of telling how long ours would have lasted if not dimmed.

In my veiw another advantage of dimming is that the reduced heat increases lampholder and fitting life

Sponsored Links
[quote

In my veiw another advantage of dimming is that the reduced heat increases lampholder and fitting life[/quote]

True, but dimmed lamps are very inefficient in terms of lumens per watt. Much better to use lower wattage lamps without dimming.

But a dimmed ( non halogen ) filament lamp gives a much warmer light ( warmer colour compared to the harsh white of the same lamp undimmed )

I have pairs of lamps that can be switched into series connection to provide a warm glow light or individually on full brightness when needed.

Sponsored Links
I use three relays per pair of lamps. These are controlled by a microprocessor based lighting controller ( DIY design ).

The main reason for this controller approach is that the cottage is 498 years old and switch cable runs down walls ( some are stone rubble and mortar, others wattle and daub ) are difficult. So instead the switches are 12 volt inputs to the controller. 8 and 12 core alarm cable is much easier to run and the type of switch is not restricted to those that are safe ate 230 volt.

Most lamps are wired to the controller where the relays are mounted but a few have their relays remote from the controller and operated by 12 volt circuits.

The lounge has four pendanr lamps, one in each corner, individually ON-OFF with the silver switches. Dimming is by the push buttons, a short push turns a pair on in dim (series) mode and a long push turns them off.

This is the controller about a year ago during development and mounted on a temporary wooden mounting plate. It now controls 13 lamps in lounge bedroom, bathroom and landing, 10 of which are in dimmable pairs.

A second controller operates the kitchen, 2nd bedroom, hallway and external lights. Motion detection and dusk sensors trigger timers to operate some lights for security purposes, one quirky function is that pressing the door bell brings on the porch light for 30 seconds.

Indeed. It could be down to all sorts of things, including just chance/luck.
Rf's and mine have lasted in excess of 10 years, however winstons right, theres no way really of telling how long ours would have lasted if not dimmed.
Indeed. Unfortunately, none of these very small scale anecdotes (including stillp's, which is 'comparative') are going to tell us very much.
In my veiw another advantage of dimming is that the reduced heat increases lampholder and fitting life
True.

Kind Regards, John

If a bulb is lasting 10 years you cant ask for much more or say there is a problem though
I totally agree - but, as I said, such anecdotes could be unusual chance occurrences.

Albeit in lesser-used parts of the house, I have at least some still-working traditional incandescent lamps (and at least a couple of fluorescent tubes) in my house which are 'originals' from when I moved in about 27 years ago - but I wouldn't attempt to draw any conclusions from that!

Kind Regards, John

No it couldn't - they're mains voltage lamps!

The effect on lamp like of using dimmers will depend on many factors, including the percentage of operating time the lamps are dimmed, number of starts, how much they are dimmed, and probably a good few I've not thought of.

The effect on lamp like of using dimmers will depend on many factors, including the percentage of operating time the lamps are dimmed, number of starts, how much they are dimmed, and probably a good few I've not thought of.
Quite so ... as I wrote earlier:
It could be down to all sorts of things, including just chance/luck.
Given all the variables, one really cannot draw useful conclusions out of any of the anecdotes. I think we know as 'facts' that (all other things/factors being equal) dimming will increase the life of any filament lamp, and also that running a halogen lamp at reduced temperature will tend to decrease its life - so dimming a halogen lamp involves the balance between those two effects.

Perhaps the most practical observation is that I don't think we see/hear thousands of people complaining that they getting unacceptably short lamp life when they dim halogens.

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps the most practical observation is that I don't think we see/hear thousands of people complaining that they getting unacceptably short lamp life when they dim halogens.

Exactly my point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back