Dimmer switch- buzzing and flashing on and off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have recently swapped a three bulbed light fitting for a one bulbed linked to a dimmer switch. Since doing so, the light (using an energy saver bulb) only works on full, anything less and it buzzes loudly and flashes on and off. If I use a non-energy saving bulb, the light flashes on and off, even on full. Any ideas??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the bad news: yes, you have damaged your dimmer switch, get a new one.

the good news, don't put an energy saving lamp in a dimmer controlled light.

Energy saving lamps can not be dimmed and are not designed to be dimmed, they have some electronics in them which if you try to dim will back feed and permanently destroy your dimmer. (as yours has) all energy saving lamps clearly state "can not be dimmed" (or similar)

by using an ordainairy lamp and dimmer switch you are infact saving energy

Thanks Breezer, any idea why the dimmer broke in the first place? We only put an energy saving bulb in because an ordinary didn't work?

Sponsored Links
I just installed a timer switch to control the recessed lighting in my den. I have 4 Energy Saver bulbs. All works fine when the lights are on. When I press the button to turn the lights off, two of the bulbs turn off without a problem and the other two flicker and never go off.

Any ideas?

godlikesme said:
I just installed a timer switch to control the recessed lighting in my den. I have 4 Energy Saver bulbs. All works fine when the lights are on. When I press the button to turn the lights off, two of the bulbs turn off without a problem and the other two flicker and never go off.

Any ideas?
If Godlikesyou so much, he'd have told you not to put energy saving lights on a dimmer!!! And the answers are above in this very thread. Your dimmer is goosed.

God would also have told you to start your own thread instead of ressurecting old posts!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back