Dimmer Switch Disaster - No lights working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
The OP had tried all obvious combinations.
I have tried all possible combinations and none work.
The point is people need to pay attention and understand what they are doing. he cannot have tried all possible combinations and not found one which works.

So I copied the set up of the previous (broken) switch
He can't have done, can he.

Please help someone
This is the best and most valuable help you have got so far:

Please learn how lighting circuits work, and what different switches do. Come to genuinely understand how the things you want to fiddle with actually work.

So I copied the set up of the previous (broken) switch and put the one red wire in the C and the other two reds in L1 and L2,

Think thats where he was mistaken.
Any combination of that set up will fail to function correct.

Indeed.

So he went ahead with the job even though he didn't know what he was doing, he didn't wire the new switch in the way the old switch was wired (despite thinking he had), tried to make it work by guessing, didn't hit on the right set of connections (despite believing he had tried every possible one), and ended up with no lighting.

I am not trying to rub the OPs nose in it - I do genuinely hope that this will be a salutary lesson to others of the vital importance of learning how lighting circuits work, and what different switches do, and acquiring a genuine understanding of how the things they want to fiddle with actually work.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the OP needed to understand how all lighting circuits worked to replace one switch with another.
Maybe he has learnt to pay full attention when disconnecting switches, mark wires and take photos.

Yes he tried several combinations and then realised he would be better seeking advise on a friendly forum. Unfortunately he found this forum instead.

Yes he tried several combinations and then realised he would be better seeking advise on a friendly forum. Unfortunately he found this forum instead.

That's a bit sweeping, most people were helpful, and got the issue resolved for him.

I don't think the OP needed to understand how all lighting circuits worked to replace one switch with another.
It is indisputable that he needed to know more about how what he wanted to fiddle with actually works than he did.

If he knew how switches worked he would have had a much better idea of what each conductor was for, and would not have suffered from any confusion (if he did) between C/L1/L2/L3/1-way/2-way/etc markings on the terminals.

Maybe he has learnt to pay full attention when disconnecting switches, mark wires and take photos.
I'm sure he has, but as I said, his lesson is one which other people need to learn so that they do not repeat his mistakes.

Nobody here has been unfriendly towards him.

Thats a bit unfair on BAS, in some ways i agree with him and his internet name, ban all sheds, though thats possibly a bit extreme. as a lot of the trade also use them.
Its all to easy to see these nice shiny switches in B and Q, wickes etc, and many people truly beleive they know how to fit them, when the reality is they dont.
Luckily in most switches swapping wires and quessing is not too hazourdous, but in the event neutrals are present it could get nasty
A girlfreind brought a replacement socket once and it wernt till the screwdriver blew up she realised she should have turned the power off, although unharmed , she learnt the wrong way, not to do that again

There is nothing wrong with the lessons BAS is trying to get across to people who come here for help.

The problem is the way BAS is teaching those lessons.

There is nothing wrong with any of this:

That wasn't true, was it?

Amazingly, b-a-s, this sub-forum managed to work just fine while you were in your self-imposed exile, and with significantly less rancour.

Maybe you came back too soon?

No.

Unless you want to suggest that I should never post here because of the stupid, ignorant and irrational people who will kick off?

BAS

Please post in a way that encourages people to read your advice rather than in a way that is making them ignore you.

BAS

Please post in a way that encourages people to read your advice rather than in a way that is making them ignore you.
There is absolutely nothing I can do differently to avoid being criticised by somebody who is so thick that he thinks this:
I have tried all possible combinations
That wasn't true, was it?
is an accusation of lying.

Please do not make the mistake of thinking that it is my fault that the dense and the deranged get agitated because they have viewed a post of mine through the distorting lens of their inability or unwillingness to read perfectly straightforward English.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back