Dimmer Switch Disaster - No lights working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help someone

I recently moved into an apartment and one of the dimmer switches wasn't working. So I bought a replacement, but when I went to replace it I found 3 red wires (unlike any videos or tutorials I have found).

So I copied the set up of the previous (broken) switch and put the one red wire in the C and the other two reds in L1 and L2, but it didn't work properly, and stopped other lights working.

So I started switching the three reds around in the C, L1, L2 trying different combinations. None worked properly, and now I don't know which wire is which. I have tried all possible combinations and none work. What's worse is that each combination stops other lights working. So now I have all lights turned off and I'm stuck. Any advice would be really really welcome. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
This should be in the Electrics Forum

Is this the ONLY switch that controls the light ?

If so then one red [1] is the Live supply from the consumer unit ( fuse box ). Another red [2] is the Live feed onto other switches for other lamps and the third [3] is the switched Live to the lamp this switch controls

[1] and [2] need to be connected together to fed the other lamps so both these go into the COM on the switch.

[3] goes into L1

Nothing goes into L2

Try any 2 into COM and if the other lamps work then you have the correct two in COM. if they don't then change one of them until you find the two that belong in COM

yes as said, first find which 2 red wires need connecting together to make the lights in the other rooms work.

Once you have found this, put these 2 wires into the COM terminal.

Sponsored Links
You've almost certainly killed the new dimmer switch by you trial and error attempts at wiring. It's a hard lesson you've learned, but trial and error does NOT work with electricity.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I followed the instructions and now everything's working fine. Such a relief to have lights when just moving in, I really appreciate all of your comments.

I will definitely not use a trial and error approach again, no matter how desperate. Thanks again all.

That wasn't true, was it?

I remember you getting your knickers in a right old twist when someone suggested you were not telling the truth. Yet you quite unnecessarily and for no helpful reason feel you can call the OP a liar. :evil:

I'm sure you can explain how if this were true:
I have tried all possible combinations and none work.
he now has the switch wired so that it does work.

Alternatively you could fail to show how that assertion was true, and leave the forum, not to return until you can stop being a childish little ****.

I'm sure you can explain how if this were true:
I have tried all possible combinations and none work.
he now has the switch wired so that it does work.

Alternatively you could fail to show how that assertion was true, and leave the forum, not to return until you can stop being a childish little ****.

Oh look, resorted to swearing. Back on full form we see.

Maybe you could take your own advice?
leave the forum, not to return until you can stop being a childish little ****.

BAS.

The OP had tried all obvious combinations. With your knowledge being greater than that of the OP there are combinations that are obvious to you but not to the OP.

Many years ago your knowledge would have been less than it is now and you almost certainly had to ask for help. Remember that people helped you and realise that people today can benefit from your knowledge if it is offered in a kind and helpful way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back