Dimmer switch on a fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attempting to install a 1G dimmer switch in my conservatory with power provided by a fused spur from the electrical socket circuit.

I can get the lights to work by wiring them direct from the spur ie no dimmer switch - just controlled by the fused switch.

However, I cannot get the dimmer switch to work. I'm confused on how to wire the switch in. Can anybody offer any advice or point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Connect the browns to the switch, L1 and C. And connect the blues together in the back of the switch box.

If your experimenting caused the MCB to trip, or fuse to blow, you've probably knackered your dimmer up.

Thanks for the speedy response. i have indeed blown the fuse once so my dimmer is probably knackered. I'll get another and give it another try.

Cheers.

I Have a simalar problem , but it's replacing a dimmer switch. When i took the front off there were three, one with one red wire, the middle was empty but had a couple of green wires hanging loose , and the third with two red wires. Result the thing is not working, the wires to the rose seem ok but i replaced them anyway. Stil no joy, i got a new dimmer.The problem is now that the new dimmer has only two connections . ??????????

Any suggestions

Sponsored Links
Connect two red wires to one terminal (the two that were together before) and the other red wire to the other terminal.

The earth wires connect to the backbox. They should not have been hanging loose. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back