Dimmer Switch Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just bought a dimmer switch (single 400W 2 way mains voltage). I've just taken off the old on/off switch and I've got 3 red wires, 3 black and 3 earths. On my old switch 2 red wires are going into the sleave marked "common" and another red wire going into a sleave called "1". The 3 black wires are terminated and the 3 earth cables have been bent back and are lying loose inside the plastic back housing.
I've only got 1 light in the room so I'm not sure why I've so many wires, maybe there for future wall mounted lights but I just don't know.
I need some advice on what wires I should be connecting to the dimmer switch. I've got an L1, L2 and a ~ with an arrow plus a connector for an earth cable.
Please can someone help!!

Sponsored Links
wired the same as it is now.

~ is common.

all this info is in sticky for reference topic

but please dont tell me you have a load of halogens

The two reds from the common terminal go to the squiggly line / arrow terminal on the dimmer.

The single red from '1' terminal goes to the 'L1' terminal on the dimmer

All the earths connect to the earth erminal on the dimmer (These should be covered with green / yellow sleeving)

Leave the black (neutral) wires alone.

You have a normal amount of wires for a single switch.

RF Lighting said:
You have a normal amount of wires for a single switch.

no he doesnt, normal is 2

sorry if i appear to be pednatic, its not inteded.

it is how ever not unusual to find that many

Sponsored Links
Hi Lighting,

I've tried what you suggested and it doesn't do anything. I must admit earlier I did try connecting all 3 reds to the ~ and 3 blacks to L1 and didn't connect the earths and after turning the mains back on the lights came on but when I pressed the dimmer to off the lights went off but wouldnt come back on and the mains had tripped so I'm not sure if I've damaged the dimmer or not. I've put my old on/off switch back on and it works. Any other ideas?

Yes, sounds like you have put a dead short across the dimmer switch and blown it up!!

yep, the op has just learnt the hard way.

oh and most sheds are shut tomorrow

O well that'll teach me to go guessing I'll just have to use the old fashion on/off switch until I get my dimmer replaced, thanks for the advise anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back