Dimmer Switch Swapping

L

Leitchy

Hello all o/

I am attempting to refit an old dimmer switch with a new normal switch. The dimmer has 2 knobs on it, one for each pendant light in the living room. Upon buying the new switch I find that things are not quite the same, and the wires going into the dimmer switch are all red!!!!

So instead of blowing oneself up, I am requesting a bit of help off this forum.

I've taken a picture of the light switch below.

http://www.leitch-designs.co.uk/switch.JPG

Sorry for the quality, but I think you get the idea of it.

The switch I baught was a "LightSwitch Double 2Way 6ax" so is this suitable?

Thankyou, please post if you have any more questions

Sponsored Links
A small update which I never included. The connections on the dimmer plate are labelled "C", "L1" and "L2". The connections on the new switch are "Common", "1 Way" and "2 Way".

The wire you see not connected in the picture, is one that seemingly 'fell out' when i removed the face plate from the wall. So I am not sure where that would go again.

Its a bit blurred but I believe that you will do the following:

Iguess your new switch has two sets of terminals marked C. L1 and L2, yes?

You have a red wire that is linked between the two terminals marked 'C' on your dimmer, yes?
Coonect the red wires above onto the thw two C terms on your new switch.

You are the n left with two red wires still on the dimmer.
Put one into the position marked L1 on yr new switchj and the other into the other L1.
Thats it.

I assume the new one is not a metal switch? if it is you need to earth it

Just got yr updateed post

C = common
L1 = One way
L2 = two way

Swop wires one for one per above.
Turn power off first!

Thankyou, I have since uploaded a better photo for clarification. The wire that is not connected to anything, what will that be?

Sponsored Links
The wire which has come loose is the feed to the switch, and should be connected to one of the 'C' terminals, with the short link linking to the other 'C' terminal

You have a red wire connected ibetween the two C terminals. The loose wire will also go into one of the C terminals.

Ok thanks a lot, time to go blow myself up :D

Will let you know how it goes once I start the computer up again!!!

Me again. The switch worked perfectly so thankyou all that replied for your time, now the wife will leave me alone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back