dimmer switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 way switch where one is a dimmer switch and it has been working OK however I cannot understand the wiring.

Each switch has three connectors L1 L2 & C

At the Dimmer

C has three red wires
L2 has one black wire
L1 has a red wire

At the switch

C has one red wire
L2 has a black wire
L1 has a red wire

This workes fine ( I'm not sure why ! ) but I just bought a remote control dimmer ( Doyle & Tratt ) to replace the manual dimmer and the terminals are marked by different symbols

Live
S
a wavy line with an arrow through it ( Load ? )

I have connected it as follows

L1 - Live
L2 - S
C - wavy line with arrow through it

This works but only if the other switch is in a particular way ( ie it's in series )

I have tried the following

L1 - Live
L2 - wavy line with arrow through it
C - S

But nothing worked at all

Any ideas

Sponsored Links
Did it not come with any instructions?

My GUESS, is that Live is the live feed, and the two outputs are S when it is "off", so that you can use it in a 2-way switching circuit, and squiggle, which would be the dimmed output.

Could you verify this by temporarily putting it in place of an existing 1-way switch? Connect the live feed to Live, and the other wire to the squiggle, and check that it dims the lights, then take the wire from squiggle and put it in S, and see if tht jut turns the light full on and off, with the light coming on when the dimmer switch clicks into the "off" position?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back