Dimmer switch with "un-dimmed' output?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a dimmer switch that has a separate output connected to the switched live of the switch part but not the dimmer circuitry output? This would enable a bathroom fan to be switched and the lights to be dimmed, without the dimmer affecting the fan...? I guess i could open one up and butcher the PCB, but surely someone makes one by now? I want a normal wall switch, not a pull cord type...

Sponsored Links
A fan with a run on timer will trigger from the dimmer and run at full speed.

I was thinking that, as long as the fan gets its power from the unswitched live during the non -timed part o its operation. But maybe the waveform from the dimmer might upset the timer electronics, and it is a 12v fan with a 240v transformer, so maybe that won't like the dimmer signal.

Could try it I suppose, as long as the shop i bought it from isn't reading this forum when I take it back for a replacement....!

I have heard of such a device. It may not be a UK thing though.

Otherwise, how about a two gang dimmer switch?

The first dimmer can be a switch module which switches on the real dimmer as well as the fan. You'll need only to switch on the first dimmer to turn on the light and fan. The second dimmer actually dims the light.

Wire live supply to switch module COM. Switch module L1 to fan and also to dimmer COM. L1 of dimmer to light.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back