replacing a dimmer with a normal switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be interesting to see the photos - you'll have to mail them to the forum, or Breezer himself, if you don't have a website, but more and more I'm thinking that these are real dimmable fluorescents. I know that if you decouple them from the mains and drive them at high frequencies you can control how often they fire and therefore how bright they are, but every time they do fire they are at full voltage and therefore the colour stays the same.

Irrespective of who makes the lamps, I think MKs involvement in identifying what the dimmer switch does is very important.

Sponsored Links
i too am thinking they are dimable flourescent lamps (thats why i askked what the colours are)

any way to post pictures see here

I can't post my photos - this forum won't let me, although on closer inspection the switch/luminaire/whatever you call it is actually made by Home Automation - it's only the blank switches that are MK. Weird. There are 3 red wires and one black :oops: reds go into L1 and L2 and 'com' and black goes into 'dim'

Is there a smily to represent 'dim bird'?

it does sound like you have dimable flourescent lights or some other type of "control switch." your description is fine. apart from getting some one round to have alook and the obvious of seing if you can get another dimmer sitch for the minute i cant think of anything else to suggest. but i am still thinking (and am going to search the net)

added by me at 23:40 still looking, found lots of x10 stuff

added by me at 17.24 sorry it would need to be looked at :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer, I think I have the problem solved. I phoned the manufacturer and spoke to the tech support guy who said that I could just disconnect the wires going into 'dim' and 'com' and treat the L1 and L2 connections as normal with a normal switch. However, since the last time I took the face plate off and fiddled around the thing has miraculously fixed itself! Dimming again too... Maybe the fairies have come and visited ;)

Um nothing to see here, move along.

post locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back