Dimmer switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i need to get a dimmer switch to operarate 2 ceiling lights in my living room, can anybody tell me what type i need to get. Thankyou :D

Sponsored Links
To be honest no idea, perhaps i should get the facts on my lighting and maybe it might have been easier for you to answer, but thanks for trying to help me.

To be honest no idea, perhaps i should get the facts on my lighting and maybe it might have been easier for you to answer, but thanks for trying to help me.
Dimmers normally have a range within which they dim lights - for example a standard single push dimmer might have a range of 50/250w so as long as the total wattage of the lamps comes within that range you can dim them.
Obviously the higher the wattage the more range you have.

The key issue is the type of lamps -some can be dimmed by pretty much any dimmer such as incandescent lamps.
Generally CFL's cannot be dimmed however there are some lamps on the market now, made by Varilight for example that can be dimmed.
GU10 lamps can be dimmed though there is some thought that dimming them can lead to shorter live spans.
Generally available LED's cannot be dimmed. However just like CFL's manufacturers are now making dimmable LED's.
You will however need a dimmer that has a low start range i.e. 10w/150w and the instructions will probably limit you to a maximum number of LEDs per dimmer.

Sponsored Links
Ok Riveralt interesting information will look into this a bit more for my lights and hopefully be able to sort this out. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back