dimmer terminals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought an LAP dimmer.

The dimmer has 3 terminals, L and two dimmer outputs? (wavy line with arrow through, numbered 1 and 2). I assume this is for adding a second on/off switch elsewhere if required for 2 way operation?

I assume for a simple single dimmer with no additional switches, either of the dimmer outputs can be used?

No mention anywhere on the box or instructions if this is a trailing edge dimmer.

It's also limited to min load of 60w, so that's going to be 12 led bulbs minimum!

Sponsored Links
If you are dimming LED lamps then that dimmer does not sound like what you need.

Model and where you bought it from might help.

What is the load? For dimming LEDs you may be better off with one of these 1 Gang 400w 2 Way V-PRO Silent Trailing Edge Dimmer Switch - White

It's a LAP brand from Screwfix (71107). I need a twin gang, chrome, screwless to match the other fittings.

Load is 14 LED downlights (5w) so I am just over min load.

I'll see if I can find a better trailing edge one from somewhere...

Note that with dimmers you can often take the dimmer mechanism out of the unit you find works, and put it into the faceplate you like (chrome scrrwlrss in your case).

Pull the dimmer knob off, undo the front nut, and the dimmer mechanism slides out.

Costs you twice as much, but does give the finish you are looking for.
Sfk

Sponsored Links
some dimmers simply cannot handle 14 leds, regardless of the total being inside the load range
the connections are more likely L1 L2 and the wavy line is the symbol for the dimmed output

some dimmers simply cannot handle 14 leds, regardless of the total being inside the load range
the connections are more likely L1 L2 and the wavy line is the symbol for the dimmed output
Nope, defo one L and two wavey lines with arrows through. I'll put a pic on at some point...

Wired it in and it's working fine. A little buzzy if you are stood right next to the switch at half power.

I am intriqued, the code shows as a 2 gang dimmer
There will be 2 wavy line outputs, one for each gang
However if 1 way there would normally be Two L terminals 1 for each gang, or more likely its 2 way and has L1 And a L2 for each Gang.
Look forward to a pic or one of the instructions will do :)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-2-ga...-mains-low-voltage-250w-polished-chrome/71107

Ah, just read the reviews it appears its an odd set up, with one supply and like you say 2 Wavy outputs, so for a two gang you would use both outputs .
It appears not capable of 2 way just two 1 ways with a common supply.
Bit confused as i get the impression your using just 1 gang of the 2 gang switch

Last edited:
I am intriqued, the code shows as a 2 gang dimmer
There will be 2 wavy line outputs, one for each gang
However if 1 way there would normally be Two L terminals 1 for each gang, or more likely its 2 way and has L1 And a L2 for each Gang.
Look forward to a pic or one of the instructions will do :)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-2-ga...-mains-low-voltage-250w-polished-chrome/71107

Ah, just read the reviews it appears its an odd set up, with one supply and like you say 2 Wavy outputs, so for a two gang you would use both outputs .
Bit confused as i get the impression your using just 1 gang of the 2 gang switch

It's a dual gang, so in total there is one L and TWO pairs of wavy line terminals, 5 in total.

It's to do with using the dimmer with a second on/off switch mounted elsewhere, as the wiring diagram shows, just a bit odd that it doesn't show wiring without the second switch.

With the second switch you attach each wavy line terminal to the switch n/o and n/c and the load to the switch common.

See microscopic diagram below (2"x2")

IMGP3527.JPG

It's a dual gang, so in total there is one L and TWO pairs of wavy line terminals, 5 in total.

It's to do with using the dimmer with a second on/off switch mounted elsewhere, as the wiring diagram shows, just a bit odd that it doesn't show wiring without the second switch.

With the second switch you attach each wavy line terminal to the switch n/o and n/c and the load to the switch common.

See microscopic diagram below (2"x2")

View attachment 132060
Unbelievable, that explains the reviews then
Basically you use the L and wavyline 1 or 2

What the OP has just posted seems to indicate that it is capable of being used as two 2-ways but, as you say, with a common supply.

It does seem very odd. Since I presume that the two dimming modules are essentially totally separate, it would surely have been easy to provide separate supply terminals (rather than a common one), thereby presumably making the product appreciably more flexible?

Kind Regards, John

What the OP has just posted seems to indicate that it is capable of being used as two 2-ways but, as you say, with a common supply.

It does seem very odd. Since I presume that the two dimming modules are essentially totally separate, it would surely have been easy to provide separate supply terminals (rather than a common one), thereby presumably making the product appreciably more flexible?

Kind Regards, John
Yes, at the time of posting i was under the impression it was 2 gang with only 3 terminals not 5

I don't really think that anyone was being particularly dim, except perhaps the person who designed that product which I feel sure could easily have been made more flexible/versatile!

Kind Regards, John
Yep, it's a good example of making something awkward and confusing to use and then adding some cr@p instructions into the mix for good measure...:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back