Dimmer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some help please. Looking to change an old light switch for a 1 way varilight dimmer.

In the switch are 2 x 1.5mm 2+E core cables. One incoming live and one going to the pendant.

According to the wiring diagram I connect the incoming live to L, the outgoing live to Load. I connect the neutrals together and earths to the switch.

When I do this, the light stays on. When I swap the live wires over, it still stays on.

Any ideas on the problem please?

Sponsored Links
What are all the switch terminals marked as?

Photos may help.

If I have understood you correctly, what you have done sounds correct.

Took the switch off while I scratched my head, photos attached. Thanks so far.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
A number of points, first is the bulb must be 60 watt or more so when dimmed still over 40 watt.

If old seems likely the two cables could be from diffrent lamps, or it was an intermediate switch, need to see how originally wired or at least back of old switch.

I really can't see point in fitting a switch with will only work with old tungsten bulbs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back