Dimmers and light bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
gonna fit a dimmer switch next week, its a standard ceiling rose, what energy light bulb should I use as I have heard that most types flicker when used with a dimmer switch, or is it best for me to use an old type light bulb.
any help would be great thanks.

Sponsored Links
I find the varilight digiflux to be reasonably good - dimming is quite smooth down to about 15% then it just goes out.

But note that you must meet the minimum load requirements of the dimmer or you will have problems. A single 20W Digiflux or similar on a normal dimmer is not going to work.

Varilight do special low-load dimmers for this purpose:

http://www.switches-and-sockets.co....oad-pushonpush-off-dimmer-switch-p-14220.html

the dimmer I have is 40 watt min. normal energy bulbs are less that 20w,
but would Osram Halolux GLS Energy Saving BC 42W be fine. it states it is dimmerble.

Sponsored Links
but would Osram Halolux GLS Energy Saving BC 42W be fine. it states it is dimmerble.
Yes its dimmerable, but its 5hit. And its not strictly energy saving. It is noticably dimmer than a normal lamp they use to compare. Its halogen, one of the least efficient forms of lighting known to man. Dont know how they get away with this fraud.

sorry to hijack the post slightly, but does anyone know of any low load GRID dimmer switches?

Thanks

SB

Yes its dimmerable, but its 5hit. And its not strictly energy saving. It is noticably dimmer than a normal lamp they use to compare. Its halogen, one of the least efficient forms of lighting known to man. Dont know how they get away with this fraud.

I don't think they're sh1t. Low energy fluorescents are sh1t. At least with Halolux you get some kind of light out of them. They directly replace old GLS bulbs and use less energy. (Yes, they do.)

They won't be around for long though as the more efficient CFLs are getting better and eventually will actually be an alternative. At the moment they are only good enough to scare old ladies into buying them in case the energy police come round.

if the Osram Halolux GLS Energy Saving BC 42W is crap then I thinks I will just opt for the old type 40 or 60 watt buld and be done with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back