Dimmers burning out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dimmer on a two way switching format with a rocker at the other end. One of the dimmer channels has burnt out. A friend has suggested that this is a problem with two way dimmer systems that the charge is always running across the coil and therefore burns out quickly. Can anyone tell me if this is the case and if there is a solution to it? (apart from not using dimmers!!)

If this is the case then why do we get 2 way dimmers?

btw the dimmer is not overloaded so that shouldn;t be the cause of the burn out.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
More likely a lamp failed causing a large current to flow and has blown the triac.

Desie your friend is wrong, its also possible and more likely the dimmer is not suited for its load (wrong / too many lamps)

Breezer

The dimmer isn't overloaded. 2 x 50w halogens on a 400w channel.

What my friend said to me made sense sort of but I can't reconcile that against the fact that the dimmer was made to be 2 way. Can you give me any technical info as to how the 2 way bit of the dimmer works to avoid charge being always tyhrough the coil? Or doesn't it matter?

Sponsored Links
Desie said:
Can you give me any technical info as to how the 2 way bit of the dimmer works to avoid charge being always tyhrough the coil? Or doesn't it matter?

thats the bit they got wrong, when you turn a dimmer or switch off it breaks the circuit, so no current flows anywhere

Sorry Breezer. Maybe I'm not understanding the logic of two way switching.

When you have a switch with a common, L1/L2 3 core and L1/L2 two core coming into it for the two way switching to work isn't there always a live charge flowing one way across the switch to feed the 3 core at the other end?
Hence charge across the coil?

Or is there a bridge bypassing it?

Sorry if I sound stupid!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back