Dimming multiple lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So a job we're doing at the moment is quite complex, and the guy wants to be able to dim all of his lights in his swimming pool.

We have:
9x100w 230v LED floods (I know!)
10x7w ELV floodlights
18x7w 230v downlights

The problem we're going to have is that at least the floodlights are going to have to be wired on separate circuits for inrush, so we don't want to present him with a bank of 8 dimmers as it's going to be difficult for him to set the level to the same amount - you can see almost all of the lights at the same time.

We've got a rep from a lighting company coming to site this week, but we haven't got much faith tbh.

Sounds like something some theatre guys might have more experience with, any suggestions?

The good news is each flood and ELV is wired back to the plant room individually, and the spots are wired back in two sw+n, with dimming being controlled in the plant room, and then a 2-way standard or pulse switch is wired to the entrance.

Sponsored Links
Absolutely not a problem for theatre or even commercial lighting, and something like a Crestron controller should be able to store 'scenes' with sequential power-up/down to avoid inrush problems and send a low-voltage isolated dimming control signal (DMX or whatever) to dimmer packs across multiple circuits/phases. Or you could use lights with inbuilt controllers and just send DMX round the room. That would allow for RGB at the lights as well as dimming.

Thanks guys. I have looked at Lutron, I'm aware they're not cheap but this guy is a multi millionaire so price isn't really an issue, he just wants it right.

Will look into Crestron, no scope to change light fittings unfortunately as they've been spec'd by the architect. Dowlights are milled aluminium, floods are stainless steel and the wall lights are low profile LED plaster over fittings.

Probably not what we would have spec'd but it is what it is unfortunately - takes pressure off us in the future if there's issues

Sponsored Links
Another good candidate there. The rep that came out today seems to think their gear will do what we want, so if my boss is happy with the quote that may well be the end of it! I wasn't holding out much hope for it, but he seems to know the score

Shall see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back